create ascii game

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
Cheatmaster Stijn

create ascii game

Post by Cheatmaster Stijn »

Hello, i'm looking for a program to create ascii games. i'm also looking for a program to create all sorts of dos-games. does anybody has such a program?

P.S. Sorry for possible orthography errors, because I am Dutch.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

http://www.dosgames.com/g_gcs.php

you want ZZT and/or Megazeux. they're on that page.
Cheatmaster Stijn

Post by Cheatmaster Stijn »

thnx
The Great Haakon

Post by The Great Haakon »

I would like to know how to create a game on DOS using Windows XP. Somebody please help me.
barok

Post by barok »

if you want to create an ascii game, why not just learn how to program? ascii games are quite easy once you get the hang of it. in fact, learn qbasic and join qbtk.com's roguelike challenge! personally, i think programming is much better than an maker because it's more flexible.
Qbasic can do much more than you think!
Interon

Post by Interon »

The problem with programming is that it is very time-consuming. Also it can be a pain to learn.

Personally, I think ZZT is the best quick solution for now since it has an intuitive interface and quick results.
Micah

Post by Micah »

Just use MegaZeux. You can edit the ASCII chars and get some pretty cool effects! You can also edit a 16 color palette, or use SMZX, a VGA hack that allows 256 colors (but is very hard). Here, I will link to a screenshot of what normal MegaZeux graphics are capable of: http://www.digitalmzx.net/forums/index. ... =7560&st=0 Thats a log of one of the upcoming projects. Also, it has more flexibility than you can imagine.
This is a signature. I hope you understand.

Post by Guest »

Qbasic is the best way to make games and everything else.As someone said here Qbasic can do more than you can Imagine :thumbsup:
acclue

Post by acclue »

speaking of megazeux can some1 help me? i need a way to play it on xp, is there a way? if so how?
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

I'm pretty sure that I've done it before, albeit a long time ago, and I may not have had sound. Recently a (beta) Windows port came out on the Megazeux site Zeuxworld, which has unfortunetly now met it's demise for some reason. I don't know, I'm more of a ZZTer. Anyway, you'll have to search for it somewhere. I think there are still other MZX sites around!
Six Leg Goped

Post by Six Leg Goped »

to run megazeux on xp, right click on megazeux.exe and goto the memory tab and under the 'Extended (EMS) memory" box, in the dropdown box, choose "auto" and hit apply and ok
barok_unlogged

Post by barok_unlogged »

if that doesn't work though, your going to have to go into your bios and turn the legacy usb ports off.

Post by Guest »

Micah wrote:Just use MegaZeux. You can edit the ASCII chars and get some pretty cool effects! You can also edit a 16 color palette, or use SMZX, a VGA hack that allows 256 colors (but is very hard). Here, I will link to a screenshot of what normal MegaZeux graphics are capable of: http://www.digitalmzx.net/forums/index. ... =7560&st=0 Thats a log of one of the upcoming projects. Also, it has more flexibility than you can imagine.
microman

Post by microman »

So far, I use ZZT and QBASIC.

I've made a game called treasure of the ruins. Ever played "Last Half of Darkness":
Kindof a step down from that, and text-based. :cuccoan:
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

I recently made a simple ASCII game in Turbo Pascal 5.5 . Borland are giving away this compiler for free.. Its very good and an easy language to pick up.
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

ASC games are the perfect inroad into games programming.

I would recommend using QBasic or C, or any old, easy to learn language you want. Speed shouldn't be an issue, so these choices are all acceptable.

I worked for about 6 months on as massive roguealike game in QB: eventually gave up when someone destroyed the computer with all my source code on it (and my only backup was a few weeks old). My new computer seems to really dislike QB, so the game ended there.

nonetheless, I learnt a lot about programming from this game.
clayton

Post by clayton »

i would like to know how to create a game in pascal programming but dont know from where to start
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Well, you can get the compiler from here:

http://community.borland.com/article/0, ... 03,00.html

Buy a book, or look up the basics and have fun. If you are going to buy a book, I know that 'Turbo Pascal 5.5 - The Complete Reference' is a good book to buy (If you can find it) .
dosguy

Post by dosguy »

I am learning c++ and I am creating a dos ASCII game as my first learning curve project. I used to use java. Heres some screenshots.

I love programming- its really very rewarding and people think you are clever :laugh: