Adding Sound Blaster 16 audio to an old game

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
gadgetmind

Adding Sound Blaster 16 audio to an old game

Post by gadgetmind »

I recently resurrected the source code for an old DOS game called "Carrier Command", and it's building from source and running nicely in doxbox.

When it was released in 1988, sound cards hadn't really arrived, so it just used the PC speaker. I'd like to add Sound Blaster 16 support, but would like to talk thought the ins and outs of samples versus FM first.

Is here a good place?

Regards

Ian
Ian
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

That's kinda a specialized and tech question you ask.

Me thinks you'd better ask such thingies@
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
gadgetmind

Post by gadgetmind »

Thanks, will do.

My current thinking is to use the FM synth for background (engine etc.) noises, and as it's similar to the chip in the Sega Genesis, I can use a fair few ideas from the port of Abrams I did for that platform. I got a bit carried away there and even did depth cued and doppler shifted helicopter effects!

I might do explosions etc. the same way, or these could be samples. It's the singleton nature of samples that bothers me.

Regards

Ian
Ian