Best DOS/Windows 3.1 Programming language

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
Wuffyz

Excutables

Post by Wuffyz »

[input "hey! what's your name? ";name$
print "Well hello ";name$;"!"
input "how are you? ";how$
print "i'm feeling pretty ";how$;" my self today"
input "where do you live? ";live$
print "hold on
sleep 4
print "yeah i live 368 miles away from ";live$
print "my name is Sean by the Way"
sleep 1
input "how old are you? ";old#
year = 2004
year = year - old#
in# = year
in# = in# - old#
print "if it's 2004 you'll be born in ";in$ ..."
input "Good Bye ";bye$
print "yup ";bye$;" to you to."[/code]

Post by Guest »

Interon wrote:Microsoft Basic (<B style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">QuickBasic</B>, GW-BASIC, etc.). Basic was Microsoft's first big product before DOS, Windows, Office, etc. so I reckon that MS is the best maker of Basic interpreters.
barok

Post by barok »

eh... right.

To compile basic code you need alot of 3rd party software? WRONG!!! Microsoft includes everything you need to compile quickbasic. Qbasic 1.1 is merely a stripped down version of quickbasic.

Also, V1ct0r is creating a basic compiler that compiles basic code into WINDOWS PROGRAMS!!! It's free, and from what i understand, closing in on finishing. I don't know if this'll allow much more data to be stored as well, but if it does then this program could very well bring qbasic back up. Basically:

Compiles Qbasic programs into Windows programs
The programs are much faster
Possibly more memory since the compiler is 32 bit?

Let's cross our fingers!
Qbasic can do much more than you think!
Prak42

Post by Prak42 »

What are you people using to get graphics out of C/C++/Basic? Usually those languages are used for text only programs and I haven't seen much come from them visually. I'd be interested to hear about the use of graphics in those programs because I really like C.
oldskoolprogrammer

Post by oldskoolprogrammer »

barok,

Do you know how I could contact V1ct0r? His Windows-based Qbasic compiler would end my frustrations with Qbasic's compiler and Link.exe. I'm sitting on a project I've been coding for five years with no way to compile it and make it useful. Please reply if you know V1ct0r's email address or any other means of contacting him!
knico07

Post by knico07 »

Do you remember that Staci girl from when we went to the physicals in 8th grade?
barok

Post by barok »

freebasic has been released.

freebasic.bad-logic.com

note it doesn't support all commands. For example, graphics. But a guy named sterling is making a lib to support qb graphics commands. Nice sterling. :)

and Prak:

www.vplanetmag.com. :*)
Qbasic can do much more than you think!

Post by Guest »

I got Quickbasic but I'm out of memory at compiling my game when it grows so much... any solution??
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

Yeah, that's why I was forced to give up on Qbasic.

The truth is, if you've made a game that big you've probably reached the end of QB's usefulness to you. You should be well versed in programming and ready to move on to a new language.

If your program isn't too big (I think I kept getting these errors after 200 KB of code), check the size of all your arrays: often these errors are caused just because one array is a lot larger than it needs to be. Also, make sure your functions never go too 'deep' (I think being in 8 functions at a time or more causes problems)
Akis Katsman

Post by Akis Katsman »

It depends how big/difficult your program is. If you're going to write simple programs and/or games, use BASIC (preferably QuickBASIC). Otherwise, use C/C++
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

The pro version of quickbasic (MS Professional Basic 7.1) has a much larger memory limit.