Great Idea Making DOS Playable In Browser

Questions, comments, and suggestions regarding the playdosgames.com website can go here.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Great Idea Making DOS Playable In Browser

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

I notice that you can even play the DOS game right in your browser is I am not mistaken over at WWW.PLAYDOSGAMES.COM

If this is so - that is a miracle - how do you do it is just amazing
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Yes, he (or someone, but I think it was him!) ported DOSBox to javascript to be able to play in browsers. Really amazing stuff he accomplished, I couldn't believe it the first time I saw it. Good on him!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Quadko wrote:Yes, he (or someone, but I think it was him!) ported DOSBox to javascript to be able to play in browsers.
jDOSBox was made by James Bryant "Danoon". Here's the initial topic about his project he created at VOGONS back in 2011:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=27467
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

@Quadko, I agree it is an amazing miracle. Every detail of my game seems to work right. Even the secret keys in my games haha

@Mr.Flibble: Thank you for the informative article.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Is he the admin/owner/etc. at PlayDosGames.com? I don't see anything one way or the other. Or maybe I'm thinking one of the other sites like RGB Classic Games. Doesn't matter, I'm glad it came together so well. They all deserve lots of praise. :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Actually, I am not sure myself. However, I give Joris who is I think the head over there at WWW.PLAYDOSGAMES.COM the credit for implementing JAVA DOSBOX. It is the first I have ever seen it like that. I read only the first page of 11 and it says the coding is maybe 50 thousand lines long. Yikes!
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

jDOSBox and PlayDOSGames.com aren't related in any way, PlayDOSGames.com just uses the opensource jDOSBox technology. All credits for jDOSBox go to James Bryant, as MrFlibble explained.

However, the online save functionality at PlayDOSGames.com was made by myself, and as far as I know we're the only website offering a service like that.

I think it's amazing you can play those games in a webbrowser as they used to need a full pc 15-20 years ago. It's a good example of how fast technology develops.

I hope all visitors enjoy gaming at PlayDOSGames.com :)
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Very cool, and kudos for putting together the website and figuring out the save problem!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Quadko wrote:Or maybe I'm thinking one of the other sites like RGB Classic Games.
DOSGuy of RGB Classic Games is mentioned at the jDOSBox page as a tester and contributor. I think he may have been the first to actually implement jDOSBox on a DOS gaming website but I'm not sure.
Joris wrote:I think it's amazing you can play those games in a webbrowser as they used to need a full pc 15-20 years ago. It's a good example of how fast technology develops.
BTW, you might be interested to know that there is an ongoing project that is aimed at running DOSBox in a browser without the need to install Java on the host machine:
http://www.classicdosgames.com/forum/vi ... f=3&t=1303
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38086