Need help with Harvester game.

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
webe123

Need help with Harvester game.

Post by webe123 »

Hello everyone! I am new here, but wanted to introduce myself.
I also have a problem with a certian old DOS game I thought some of you more experienced people could help out on. I played this game YEARS ago on a 486 DX66, but that was quite awhile back.

Anyway, I just recently bought an old DOS game called "harvester" that is a horror game Developed long ago by Merit Studios and Published by DigiFX in 1996.

I have a LEGAL version of the game...here is a link to the 3 CDs I bought off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0007683925

The problem I have is that to get the game installed...you have to have certian DOS commands...BUT the guy selling me the game no longer HAS the original manual that came with it. So I am stuck trying to remember the DOS commands to install the game.

I also bought a used computer off of ebay to play it and all of my old DOS games on...and have loaded it with a legal copy of win 98SE I own..(I thnk DOS games are the BEST by the way, all about gameplay..not fancy graphics)..... . Here is the computer I bought along with the specs it has on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-Prosignia-PI ... dZViewItem

I have reformatted the hard drive and put on win 98se and have replaced the sound card in it with a soundblaster 16 PCI card I had and downloaded the drivers for it and put them on and the sound works great....I also found out that it has a Diamond Viper V730 video card that I also found the drivers for online and have installed and it works great!

As I said: My main problem is HOW to get the Harvester game installed and working on this machine....it has been a LONG TIME since I have used DOS...but are there some "generic" commands that work with installing DOS games? Or is there anyplace you know I can find a copy of the harvester manual since I have a legal version of the game?

I know that is is my first post, but I am needing help with this game and getting it installed on win 98SE....The game box says that it is made for win 3.11 and win 95, but other articles have told me that it has played on win 98SE with no problems.

Here are the "original" requirements for the game:
486DX-33 (486-66 or Pentium recommended) * 8 MB RAM (16 MB recommended) * SVGA (640x480x256-VESA) * DOS 5.0 or later (runs in Windows 3.1 or Windows 95) * 30 MB swap file * Sound Blaster 8-bit/16-bit; & AWE32; Pro-Audio Spectrum 16; Microsoft sound system, and more. * 2X CD-ROM drive (Quad speed recommended); MSCDEX drivers v.2.1 or greater; Microsoft compatible mouse (version 8.0 or greater)

If anyone could tell me how to install the game on DOS or in win98se...either one, I would appreciate it. I found an interesting site for anyone else that owns the game:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/9621/harv1.htm

By the way, it should be said that I am an adult and this game was made way back before they had warnings on games, but it is definately NOT for kids.

If anyone already owns this game or knows how to get it going, please post, thanks in advance.
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

Haven't heard of this game, but I have got some general advice.

Windows 98 and 95 are pretty much the same, I wouldn't worry about that stuff. If you are struggling to get it working, you should be able to restart in MS-DOS mode.

As for installation instructions: open the cd in 'Windows Explorer' or whatever you want. Look for files such as 'setup.exe', 'install.bat', 'start.exe', 'go.bat' or the like. Anything named like that will usually be the only program you need to run to install a game.

Best of luck, hopefully someone else appears to help you with any more specific issues.

Post by Guest »

Dosser wrote:Haven't heard of this game, but I have got some general advice.

Windows 98 and 95 are pretty much the same, I wouldn't worry about that stuff. If you are struggling to get it working, you should be able to restart in MS-DOS mode.

As for installation instructions: open the cd in 'Windows Explorer' or whatever you want. Look for files such as 'setup.exe', 'install.bat', 'start.exe', 'go.bat' or the like. Anything named like that will usually be the only program you need to run to install a game.

Best of luck, hopefully someone else appears to help you with any more specific issues.

Thanks for that! I will look for those files as you suggested. The game is a cheezy horror game...but one that I remember playing on my old 486DX 66....Those were the days!