Dosbox config settings for Fatal Racing / Whiplash

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Coffee

Dosbox config settings for Fatal Racing / Whiplash

Post by Coffee »

I've just downloaded Fatal Racing / Whiplash and tried running in on DosBox 0.63 but the gameplay was slow. I've tried messing around with the CPU cycles and frame skip rate but its still jerky. Does anyone know the right settings for this?
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

What O/S are you running? And how far up to you push the CPU cycles? Also you should only use increasing the frame skip as a last resort as it will make your game rather jerky but sometimes it can help make it playable.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I forgot to mention that I'm running on Win XP.
I pushed the CPU cycle from 10000 (default) to 20000 but couldn't get the right settings. I don't know what frame skipping means but I maxed it to 10 and back, playing around with most of the various configs to no avail.

There are 2 options, one is by running it through a shortcut given after installing, the game speed and everything is ok but the sound is crapped up and jerks. The other option is to run using Dosbox 0.63, sound is perfect but game hangs when the race is starting. Help. :cry:
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Help anyone?
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Try updating your version of DOSBox then kicking the CPU cycles up to 30k.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>

Post by guest »

i got whiplash to run on my xp machine

its just the sound... apparently it doesn't work with built in mb sound.. but if i had my old sound blasher awe32 it used to work just fine.

weird.. anyone have a fix for the sound?
Silberling

ReOpen this Topic

Post by Silberling »

Hi,

I just bought a used cd on amazon.de. I cant find my old one anymore. This is a fatal racing / actua soccer combo cd, so not the original as it seems.

Now I can't get it to work. I tried dosbox latest and dfend latest on win7 64bit.

I can install the game, the sound setup works fine but when I start the game the screen is just black.

when I try several graphics devices in dfend sometimes the dosbox crashes.

I tried several information i found in on internet but they are just old and didn't help.

Help is very much appreciated!

Silberling.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

The DosBox site says the game works and is supported, but requires a hefty fast host machine and raising the cpu cycles very high (CTRL-F12 as I recall).

You might try the first few links on this google search for fatal racing dosbox .74.

I don't know anything about DFend other then it's a front end for DosBox. If you have a cycles setting in DFend, you might crank that up very high.

---

Here are some of the common questions we need to know to help you:

What version of OS? (Win7 64bit)
How powerful a computer?
How much memory?
Which version of DosBox? (Always use the latest, currently .74)
What's your dosbox config file look like / how are you mounting the drives?

Also, strange as it is, the sound setup programs sometimes works even with bad values, but then the game crashes. You might doublecheck that your sound settings are correct - the DosBox/FatalRacing links say to use SoundBlaster, and verify the DMA/IRQ 7s and 5s are all the same between the game and dosbox/DFend config.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Do not run this game via DFend or another frontend.
Run it directly in dosbox.
Read and apply the pinned win7 tutorial.

And yes, the game is pretty heavy, but runs fine on modern hardware with dosbox 0.74 , that is if your compy isn't burdened with all kinds of idiotic stuff running on the background or infected.
For such game dosbox needs a maximum of CPU power.

Another story is the ingame music, you can get lovely ingame CD music (game config settings) but on modern hardware you better use a CD image and mount that with the imgmount command directly in dosbox (dosbox -> manual).
Modern hardware isn't suited to handle CD music (spindown-spinup-cache-heating probs ... etcetera)
Should you need a good freeware soft to create a CD image:
http://www.imgburn.com/
Creates CD images that are 100% dosbox compatible.

[Edit]
I checked my CD so some additional info:
As the CD has CDA music tracks (mixed mode CD) an ISO won't do here, you must create a bin/cue image.
Imgmount in dosbox pointing towards the cue file, not the bin file.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.