How do I get DOS games to work in... DOS?

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.

How do I get DOS games to work in... DOS?

Post by guest »

I have a DOS machine, that will remain DOS. No new OS goin on it.

I've tried downloading some games, on a WINXP machine, writing them to a 3 1/2 floppy, and then putting the disk in the DOS machine, then trying the install. It just sits there for a couple seconds, and then gives me another A:\> prompt.

I'm using a regular FAT formatting system. Tried quick format, and that slow format thingy. I'm not too computer literate, but I need some help. I tried formatting the disk in another way, but the only option it gave was "FAT"

So now what?
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Maybe the disk is corrupted, copy the files to C:\ or use another floppy.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

Also the floppy drives may not share the same alignment. This is real common. For the below I'm assuming that both floppy drives are good.

Try a full "format a: /u" in the DOS machine. Drop in a junk txt file or two. See if it reads in the XP PC. If not, it's a cert one floppy drive has problems. If it DOES read, del the files and copy the game again and see if you get a read in the DOS PC. If not, definate alignment mismatch. If it DOES read, it's not so bad and you just have to remember to format the disks on the DOS PC.

Lastly, consider a dirty drive or two. Floppy drives can be cleaned. First, look in the door with a flashlight and look for dust bunnies. You may be able to blow/suck them out with a vac. If no luck, remove the drive(s) and get 2 small flat blade screwdrivers. On the sides are usually tabs holding the metal cover to the body of the drive. Insert the s-drivers much as you might to remove a bicycle tire to unhook first one tab, then the others while leaving the first unhooked. (Note: Some covers are much easier than others to remove without damage so this may not be worth it ... so just swap in another drive.) Try to get both tabs on one side unhooked as this will usually free the cover more quickly. Once open you can see the damage/dust and remove it. A Q-tip and tweezers are handy. Look for gunk and old grease on the moving parts. Clean and relube if possible. A CLEAN Q-tip with a drop of tape head cleaner can remove build-up on the two heads if they appear dirty. Use only if needed as the ham-handed can damage them. When all is complete. Push in a junk floppy and see if it snaps in and out cleanly. Repair any damage you may have done to the cover on removal. Snap cover back on carefully. Attach cables and try a format/write/read as noted above.

Wishing you happy trails. :)
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.