Installing NFSSE.iso in DOSbox 0.74

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Richard Hill

Installing NFSSE.iso in DOSbox 0.74

Post by Richard Hill »

i am 68 years old and DOS has left my mind some tine ago, say windows 95.

I have dosbox installed on G:\DOSbox-0.74, and NFSSE.iso on G:\Oldgames.

How do I get the ISO installed?
What should I add to the DOSbox.conf?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks;
Richard
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Hello Sir,

You are about the age of my father and he always taught me to respect your elders before we parted ways many years ago.

Although I don't know much about mounting ISO, I just wanted to say a welcome and hope all goes well for you.
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I don't know about this game particularily - it appears you found some of the earlier details people posted - but I think there are "how to get nfsse working in dosbox" info out there, so hopefully your search is going well on those fronts. :)

But, we can probably get dosbox to cooperate with you.

In the .conf file, you can create an [autoexec] section, or perhaps one already exists. You can put the same info in that section that you type at the dosbox z:\> prompt, so you can try things until they work, then put them conveniently in in autoexec.

To get the ISO file mounted, use this command (at the dosbox z:\> or c:\> prompt, or in autoexec section of conf, it's all the same):
IMGMOUNT D C:\Images\MyImage.iso -t iso

That will make the iso file the D:\ drive.

Of course, your c:\images\*.iso path will be whatever it actually is for you. It doesn't matter what directory it's in, though it's helpful if there are no spaces.

You'll probably want to mount a directory as the dos c drive as well, if you haven't already:
mount c c:\games
or whatever games directory you have or want to create.

then, if all goes well, you can install from the "cd" d: drive to the "hard drive" c: drive inside dosbox and it will work - or get closer to tweak more, at least.

If I recall correctly, NFSSE (or some NFS) was somewhat picky but certainly able to run successfully in dosbox, so hopefully you can get it figured out with our (or other people's!) help. Just keep posting your details and the steps & results you're currently getting! :)

And as Tien said, welcome! Glad you found us. We'll do what we can. :D
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Quadko wrote:To get the ISO file mounted, use this command (at the dosbox z:\> or c:\> prompt, or in autoexec section of conf, it's all the same):
IMGMOUNT D C:\Images\MyImage.iso -t iso
I've always used -t cdrom, is there any difference?
Quadko wrote:Of course, your c:\images\*.iso path will be whatever it actually is for you. It doesn't matter what directory it's in, though it's helpful if there are no spaces.
I think there's one thing though - whenever I tried mounting an ISO which was located inside a directory already mounted in DOSBox, it would refuse to mount.

E.g. if I had C:\DOS mounted as the C:\ drive in DOSBox, and the path to ISO was C:\DOS\ISOFILE.ISO, then IMGMOUNT would return some kind of error.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

MrFlibble wrote:I think there's one thing though - whenever I tried mounting an ISO which was located inside a directory already mounted in DOSBox, it would refuse to mount.

E.g. if I had C:\DOS mounted as the C:\ drive in DOSBox, and the path to ISO was C:\DOS\ISOFILE.ISO, then IMGMOUNT would return some kind of error.
I haven't encountered such a problem (with 0.74). I am mounting some drives both with IMGMOUNT -t ISO and regular MOUNT -t CDROM.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Re: Installing NFSSE.iso in DOSbox 0.74

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Richard Hill wrote:i am 68 years old and DOS has left my mind some tine ago, say windows 95.

I have dosbox installed on G:\DOSbox-0.74, and NFSSE.iso on G:\Oldgames.

How do I get the ISO installed?
What should I add to the DOSbox.conf?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks;
Richard
Well, seeing Jesus Christ always saves me I am attempting the impossible and try to get your game to work. Personally if you have the original disc, I would make a full duplicate of it using IMGBURN. Just select the option "Create Image from Disc" or something like that. It will make an ISO. Then verify that it is an exact duplicate using the Verify option. After that, burn that ISO file onto a brand spanking new clean blank disc. haha Seriously, I did this for my favourite DOS game Heroes of Might and Magic and it is awesome. I can use the backup disc anyway I choose without fearing scratching my original. Next just reset all your DOSBox settings clicking on the reset option. It is very dangerous because it clears everything back to original default settings.

Now select DOSBox and type the following:

mount c c:\
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
d:

Now type DIR

See if you can find something along the line of setup.exe or install.exe

If so, type setup or install WITHOUT the .exe extension

The setup should lead you through the entire install process. Just follow the instructions and enjoy.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.

Post by Guest »

Making a separate directory and mounting there will prevent all viruses from escaping. It basically quarantines your game or software.

For instance, make a directory called temp in your C:\ drive.

Then mount c c:\temp

This is better than:

mount c c:\
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

If you don't know how to make a directory, just click on your C: folder using File Explorer - you know the window you use to look at your directories and files. Then right click and select New Folder and name it whatever you want like "temp" without quotes of course. :laugh:

Then when you go to DOSBox you can mount the new folder.

Thank you Jesus Christ I don't mess my life up anymore especially getting banned from this cool place is a no-no hehe :D
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.