Kings Quest 7-Can't Start New Game

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
bella27

Kings Quest 7-Can't Start New Game

Post by bella27 »

Hi, I downloaded King's Quest Seven for dosbox on windows xp and followed the instructions on Sierra Help (www.sierrahelp.com/Games/KingsQuest/KQ7Help.html#DOSXP)

I deleted the files it told me to, made the batch file and edited the RESOURCE.CFG file

This finally got the game to load to the start menu (I had tried many other downloaded versions of the game and when I put it in dosbox it always said 'this program cannot be run in dos mode') so I was feeling very hopeful that I had finally figured it out. But when I hit 'start new game' nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong??????

This is my first time using dosbox and attempting to do anything like this and only have basic knowledge of computers. but any advice will help! thanks!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Hm, it looks like there was a dos and windows version of KQ7 according to mobygames. I definitely remember playing it on windows 3.1, so my first reaction (and the error message "cannot be run in dos mode") is to wonder if you might have the Windows 3.1 version of the game. That would probably run directly in Win9x, but not in XP.

I don't have solutions, but here are some notes that might help, or might start the discussion.

Thoughts:

* It is possible to run Win3.1 in dosbox, if that's the problem.

* The windows and dos versions might be in the same download, maybe you just need to start different exe/com/bat files from inside dosbox?

* Gog.com sells KQ7+8 for 9.99 all ready setup and ready to play with no hassle, so that might be an option, but then you miss the fun if getting it working for yoursef. :)

* Sierra Help is great, glad you found them. :)

* Sierra Help has a "King's Quest VII" installer to make life easier (I haven't used it), if you haven't tried that already, you might take a look: http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... llers.html

* And to doublecheck the dosbox side, you can run dosbox and get to the z: prompt OK? Can you mount your c: drive, etc.? If not, we can help with that, just let us know.

* We have several HOWTO threads at the top of "getting games to work" forum explaining dosbox basics, like this one for XP, in case that might help.
bella27

Post by bella27 »

Thanks so much for your help! I ended up retracing my steps and I had deleted something I shouldn't have (whoopsie) :D but I got it to work now! Thanks for your advice it helped me to go back and figure out what I was doing wrong :)
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Glad you got it working! Have fun. :D