Silver (1999) issues

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Danik

Silver (1999) issues

Post by Danik »

I have recently started getting old childhood games on my computer,one of them is Silver (a 1999 game),I had a lots of trouble to get it even working on my Windows 7 64-bit,now I have it running,though with three issues :

1) Animated effects are messed up,it seems like they are really obscurred/messed up and this type of obscuration usually duplicates across the screen even if its a single animated effect,thus ruining the gameplay.

2) Some areas have the mouse working very sluggishly,you really have to struggle with the mouse in the said areas in order to do what you desire.

3) The game is "trespassing" the screen borders slightly.

Anyone happens to know how can I get this stuff fixed? I tried all kinds of patches and modified .exe 's but still having these issues.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I don't have any absolutely helpful suggestions, but I'm impressed you got it working that well. Windows 98 era games really don't like to run in windows 7 32, much less 64 bit.

I know Gog.com sells Silver for 5.99, and they only sell games they've been able to get working properly - they have some internal tricks, but I don't think they share them. :)

I've tried DxWnd lately with some success on some games from that era; I can't promise it will work for you, but if you haven't tried it yet...

And someone always pipes up and says "try linux with Wine", but I know nothing about that and can't help you there. :P
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Apparently several (un)official patches exist that address at least some of the issues with the game. Some of them can be found here:
http://sylph.me.uk/silver/downloads.html
Danik

Post by Danik »

I have found a "free download" of GOG's Silver and apparently everything works great.