Need for Speed Special Edition - videos and acceleration bug

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
clemenskaa

Need for Speed Special Edition - videos and acceleration bug

Post by clemenskaa »

Howdy!
I'm using DOSBox 0.74 to run the game. In general it works fine, except for the videos. I tried using UNIVBE and scga_et4000 like it was recommended on the DOSBox page, but that was of no help.
Another - more important! - issue is that I can't accelerate in the game. In gear "N" the engine works properly. If I put a gear in, the car accelerates to around 25 mph. Then the engine stops and the car is slowing down.
It would be great if someone could help me with the acceleration problem. The game looks great so far and I want to play it badly!!!
Thanks!
clemenskaa
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I don't know anything about the game, but I see similar comments about UNIVBE and setting up NFS SE on nfscars.net post. They seem to be a Need For Speed fan site, you might try asking over there as well.

Other brainstorming thoughts, no idea if they are actually relevant:

* Some people report problems with faster/slower cycles in dosbox, have you played with speeding it up/slowing dosbox cycles down? CTRL-F11 & F12 if I recall correctly.
* Any chance that's a demo version of the game, and it's doing that on purpose?
* Wikipedia says NFS1 tries for realism and cars take damage. Any chance you are stripping the gears or something like that by not shifting/shifting wrong and the car engine "dies"?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Missing info here ....
Original CD ? Downloaded?
OS?
Hardware?
Dosbox version?
Mount lines?
Setup choices?
Inputs to run game?

FYI: NFSSE runs fine in default dosbox 0.74.
The game itself that is, for the vids you'll need some extra fine tuning.
But honestly, the vids aren't worth any effort, they're getting boring very fast ....

FYI²: http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about18423.html
All you need is there.

[Edit]
FYI³ : http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about17039
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Clemeskaa

Post by Clemeskaa »

Howdy!
Thanks for the fast replies!
I think my installation is just corrupted. I found a demo version and that one works fine. Unfortunately I'm missing a CD copy at the moment but I got my hands on a CD on ebay. It should arrive next week and I'll try a clean installation.
The videos aren't that important and the rest works perfect. Even my fanatec steering wheel!
Hopefully I receive my CD copy fast and I can actually start playing.
Greetings!
clemenskaa
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Sweet! Glad you tracked down the problem.
clemenskaa

Post by clemenskaa »

Yeah!
The game just works fine now! I got the cd and re-installed the game without any problems. It runs in default DOSBox 0.74 like dosraider said. When I use UNIVBE and svga_et4000 as machine even the videos work flawless - like stated on the DOSBox page.
Great game!
Thanks for your help again!
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

I decided to bump this old thread just to say thanks, because I've had the same weird acceleration bug just now. And thanks to the information here I had it resolved.

I too suspected DOSBox at first, and would have never guess it's a corrupt configuration issue. I also have the game installed on my real DOS system, and there it worked fine. I did a full directory comparison by content, and found that some config files were different. So I copied them over from the working system (real DOS) to the non-working (DOSBox), and voila - everything is working again.

So, thanks!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Best on-topic thread bump ever! Cheers, mate!
xlife

No acceleration problem

Post by xlife »

This is an old thread, but I thought this might be of interest to people coming across this post.

The failure to accelerate once you reach 25MPH seems to be some sort of protection against changing the performance characteristics of the cars. It may also serve as a copy protection (it tries to write to a file which it expects to be on the CD). The specific file is SIMDATA\CARSPECS\BY_R&T. If you set it to read-only then the cars should accelerate as normal.

Hope this helps somebody!