getting a virtual cd created for warcraft 2 please help

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
dnforever09

getting a virtual cd created for warcraft 2 please help

Post by dnforever09 »

hi ive downloaded dosbox and am using windows xp. i can get the game running but am unable to play single player as my cd was severly damaged some time ago. i have no idea how to get this whole thing started and any help would be appreciated. i am using the abandonware dos version of warcraft 2
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: getting a virtual cd created for warcraft 2 please help

Post by MrFlibble »

dnforever09 wrote:i am using the abandonware dos version of warcraft 2
While this is terribly unspecific, I fancy that the version you have is cracked, but it still refuses to run because you haven't mounted a virtual CD drive in DOSBox.

TO do so, just create an empty folder somewhere on your HDD, called CD or anything you wish (e.g. C:\DOS\CD\).

Then mount it inside DOSBox as a CD drive:

Code: Select all

mount D C:\DOS\CD -t cdrom
That should be enough for the game to recognize that your system has a CD-ROM drive, and it should work fine.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You can try what MrFlibble said, but alas there are many bugged and incomplete rips of warcraft2 floating around on the net.
dnforever09 wrote:.... i am using the abandonware dos version of warcraft 2
Advisable here is to hunt for the full CD image of warcraft2.
And as Warcraft2 is a mixed mode CD it should be a BIN/CUE image. (Or MDS/MDF pair)

BIN/CUE can be mounted directly in dosbox as CDdrive D:\ with imgmount command:
imgmount d x:\path\name.cue -t cdrom

MDS/MDF pair should be mounted in a virtual drive soft and then mounted as CDdrive D: in dosbox:
mount d x:\ -t cdrom

Install the game from D: on C: within dosbox.

Also: some releases of Warcraft 2 were Mac/Windows only if I remember swell, won't run in dosbox at all.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

dosraider wrote:Also: some releases of Warcraft 2 were Mac/Windows only if I remember swell, won't run in dosbox at all.
I suppose you mean the Battle.net Edition.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Yep, and Battle Chest , and some others I thought ... re-releases ..? Special editions ? Whatever, too lazy to look it up.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

dosraider wrote:re-releases ..? Special editions ?
I guess it would be correct to call those official source ports to other platforms (Win and Mac), but of course the game also got optimized for Internet play, as well as some bugfixes and small additions here and there too :)

I still prefer the DOS version though ^_^