Civilization 1 freezes

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Posix_memalign

Civilization 1 freezes

Post by Posix_memalign »

I experience an issue with Civilization 1 running on DOS 6.2. The version of Civilization is 474.03.

When a building gets built, it will display the animation of it being constructed fine, then it switches back to the city overview and the "CHANGE" widget flashes. When I click that button, the game freezes. But it doesn't freeze completely, the water animation on the shore tiles is still animated, and the mouse still works. However, no actions seem to have any effect.

I have experienced a similar issue in Colonization, the game freezes, but tiles are still animated and the mouse works. I'm guessing these games share some of the code and that the bug I'm experiencing is present in both games?

Is there some patch, memory related fix or other trick that will solve this problem?
Posix_memalign

Post by Posix_memalign »

A working fix seems to be to use version 474.04 instead. I have yet to experience any issues with that version.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Civ1 has some unsolved bugs, alas.
Can be that your compy is too fast and triggers some extra problems.

If my memory serves me swell, I solved some of those Civ1 problems on a faster P3/667MHz by using dos32A in stead of dos4gw.

Dos32a is freeware, there are several releases(versions) floating around, basically it's a cleaned up and better coded dos4gw, try it out I would say.

Keep in mind: *IF* my memory serves me swell .... :laugh:

Of course, if 474.04 runs now without troubles for you, simply ignore my post. However keep that 'dos32a' replacement for dos4gw in mind, can help with other games (and it's faster on slower PCs ....)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.