How to get Need for Speed SE to work [Win7-64]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
strife67

How to get Need for Speed SE to work [Win7-64]

Post by strife67 »

Hello, i'm completely new to all this. i've been playing consel units and never got into computer games until recently. i would love to get my windows 95 through 98 games to work again. I have a Windows 7 64 OS and need DOS to use these games as i have read. I have downloaded DOSBox 0.74 and have successfully mounted Drive C. i have spent hours on this site looking for how to play The Need for Speed SE and i found 2 posts. one is on The Need for Speed, and the other says that SE works differently than the normal version. i dont understand how to type in the coding and would like someone to help me with atleast the basics. i'm a very quick learner and would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Welcome on DGF.
First of all: gonna need some details from you, as are:
Could you post your mount lines?
NFSSE: downloaded something or do you have the (original) CD ?

FYI: NFSSE runs fine on Win7-64-dosbox, just need to follow some basic rules, and if you're indeed a fast learner you gonna be on your way in no-time.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
strife67

Post by strife67 »

thank you

judging and trying to understand the tutorial i have as shown (note not all of this i typed, some was already there when i started it like the SET BLASTER) :

Z:\>SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

Z:mount c "c:\users\RHONDA\oldgames"
Driver C is mounted as local directory c:\users\RHONDA\oldgames\

Z:\mount d d:\ -t cdrom
MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom d:\

Z:\>c:

C:\>CD TNFSSE

And thats as far as i've gotten so far. how am i doing?

i own and have the original CD rom from when the SE came out. condition is great too. [EDIT] yes i am trying to use the CD i have.

thank you for the FYI, that alone has made my week :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Nice, you have the CD and your C:\ mount is OK.
Now you need to make a CD image from your CD, so you don't need it anymore, and you will have to do this for every CD game, as Win7-64 can cause problems with real CDs in dosbox.
As NFSSE isn't a mixed mode CD so: an ISO will do fine.
MIXED mode CD : holds a data track plus several music tracks, for those you need to create a BIN/CUE image .....
A good soft for CD image creation is imgburn
http://www.imgburn.com/
Freeware and damn good.
Create the image as ISO and save it to your user folder, something as:
c:\users\RHONDA\oldgames\nfsse.iso
Now you need to mount that ISO so that you can install/play the game and you can put that CD safely away:
imgmount d "c:\users\RHONDA\oldgames\nfsse.iso" -t cdrom

Also mount your C: , (if it's not mounted automagically read and apply this: )
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511

In dosbox input:

d:
installd

This will launch the dos install and setup for nfsse
Accept everything (path C:\nfsse)
choose soundblaster pro
accept and save
The install prog should leave you on c:\nfsse\
Now input
nfs
to launch the game.

You can avoid to have to type the whole
everytime you want to play by putting that mount line in a batch file saved on your dosbox virtual C:\ , if you don't know what I mean just say so and I will explain how to proceed.

Next time you wanna play the game you don't need to go through that install/setup,
mount C: and D:
Inputs on dosbox's C:\ prompt :

cd nfsse
nfs
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
strife67

Post by strife67 »

The first link you gave the imgburn.com i checked each one of the 3 most recent updates and i didnt see an English download, so what should i do? should i download the Base version which says (*) If you want to have a go at translating ImgBurn into your own language, download the base file and follow the translation guide on the forum.) or keep going down the list? [EDIT] it says that even if i do download a different language it will still log as English once the setup it done. should i just stick with that?[]

the second link is exactly the page i was on last night before i signed up. thank you :) i hope it means i did it right though.

as for your next step i dont think i can do until i download the correct imgburn.

thank you for the help. i will save the last post so you wont have to retype the next step.

and i dont know what the batch file save is but you can get to that after if you want.
strife67

Post by strife67 »

hello again.

i am posting a whole new reply because this is very different. i want to say Thank you so much. I got the game to work!! after a well needed 4 hour nap i came back looked everything over hit myself in the head and said of course, my bad. i have dumb brain moments sometimes. i do have to say something though. some of the car video dont work right. any idea?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You can improve the car vids by:
Open dosbox.conf and alter machine= to svga_et4000
Maybe you even gonna need univbe loaded before running the game to get the best possible result.

However, it's only the videos that will be improved, not the game itself, and some other games won't like that svga_et4000 setting, most compatible is the default svga_s3, so it's your choice here.

Now for that batch file:
Open notepad and put your CD image mount line there, in my example it was:

Save as
c:\users\RHONDA\oldgames\nfssecd.bat
Be sure about that .bat extension, you need to select 'save as all files' or you'll get
c:\users\RHONDA\oldgames\nfsssecd.bat.txt
and that will NOT work.
Best double check in explorer or my computer.

Now run dosbox and input
nfssecd
on your C: prompt, if you did all swell the CD image will be mounted and you're set to run the game.

If you want you can even:
cd nfsse
nfs

in the nfssecd.bat, will launch the game with the nfssecd input, again: your choice how you want to set up things.

Basic rules of a batch file: (that's the *.bat file)
Must be accessible by dosbox
Most of the old MsDos batch commands will work, however not all
Most of the basic dosbox commands that you can set on the prompt will also work in a batch file (as are: ems= / imgmount / mount -u / cls / exit / pause / etcetera .....)
Avoids typing the same stuff over and over again to run a game

Also, I don't like running dos games full screen on a wide screen monitor, so my settings in dosbox.conf are:

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=1024x768
output=ddraw

Gives me the look and kinda feeling of my old CRT monitors, adapt to your personal prefs, keep in mind that 'stretching' the dosbox window will NOT work with output=surface.
Don't be afraid to test things out, if you screw up you always can reset the dosbox conf file to default by using the 'reset' option in dosbox start menu item.
strife67

Post by strife67 »

i think i can live without some of the videos i think. i will keep it in mind though and i think i'll try it atleast once just to refresh my memory. the videos were one of the best things about the game.

thank you for the batch file info.

i agree with the window size. i was using the default window and was happy. and thank you for your settings out line i will definitely try them.

thank you so much for this. i havent played this game for 10 years or so. i own all the need for speeds on cd rom from the original up to Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2. after that i only used a consel for the newer games. but as i go along i would like to get each game running alittle at a time. and again thank you for the help.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You're welcome. :)

I gonna repeat myself, don't be afraid to try things out in dosbox.conf, if something goes wrong you always can simply reset it to default settings in the dosbox start menu.
Maybe also take a look @ the dosbox manual, plenty interesting info in there.
strife67

Post by strife67 »

um, if i may, quick question, why cant i installd nfs3? i have done eveything that i did on nfsse but everything worked except the last step, installd
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Could you please elaborate a bit?
Original game?
Mount lines?

"but everything worked except the last step, installd
Error message(s)?

Also: NFS 3....????? What's that one exactly? If you're asking about 'Hot Pursuit' that's a win9X game, won't run in dosbox.
And I honestly don't know if Win7-64 will allow that one to install/run, i have my doubts.
Richard Hill

installing nfsse.iso in dosbox 0.4

Post by Richard Hill »

I have Dosbox 0.74 instaled on G:\. I have the nfsse.iso in g:\oldgames\

1.What do I do to have dosbox run the iso?

2. What lines do I add to thr .conf file?
VAIBHAVPM

Insufficient Disk space problem

Post by VAIBHAVPM »

I did exactly what dosraider said and the installer opens and it says my c :\ drive had 0 Meg space. when i press done it says insufficient disk space even when i have 109 gb free!!!! I cant even change the drive in the installer as no other drives are detected. please help
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Insufficient Disk space problem

Post by MrFlibble »

VAIBHAVPM wrote:I did exactly what dosraider said and the installer opens and it says my c :\ drive had 0 Meg space.
Try mounting the C: drive with the -freesize parameter:
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT#Mounti ... hard_drive

It should allow you to make a virtual HDD with a fixed size the old installers will recognize as a valid value. For example:

Code: Select all

mount c C:\DOSGAMES\ -freesize 500
This will create a virtual hard disk drive which is 500 MiB large.
VAIBHAVPM

Insufficient Disk space problem

Post by VAIBHAVPM »

@MrFlibble

Thank you very much!!!!
It showed that i had 499 mb space and started installing
RetroDosGames

Post by RetroDosGames »

Using DosBox is a alternative. B)
DOS games are cool!