MAX - Screen Init Failed

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Man in the Hat

Post by Man in the Hat »

dosraider wrote:
Man in the Hat wrote:I ran the autoplay menu from the CD. It installed just find, sound card and everything. I just left it on the starter sound card (I think Sound Blaster 16)

And my CD Drive letter is F:\

Anything else I forgot to include or explain? As I said; first attempt to operate an MSDOS game on Windows XP so I appreciate the support. :)
Delete what you have done till now (the \intrplay\ folder, not the \dosgames\ folder)

You need to install the game IN dosbox.

Run dosbox, mount your virtual C and input:
mount d f:\ -t cdrom
d:
install
When I said I did all that I meant I did exactly what you told me. I deleted the intrplay folder, left my dosgames folder, then I mounted everything EXACTLY as you told me too.

That is...

mount c c:\dosgames

I then installed the game VIA dosbox using the lines d:\ (to switch to the cdrom) and then d:\install (which did install the game.)

Then to run the game I switched over to c:\ and typed in c:\intrplay\max\maxrun which would cause the game to act like it was loading and then show the error message 'Screen Init Failed'.

So all the lines I used for simplistic sake follow;

mount c c:\dosgames
d:\install
c:\intrplay\max\maxrun (and yes I've tried adding .exe and .bat to the end of this; and .bat as I stated causes the game to load in a window)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Man in the Hat wrote: Then to run the game I switched over to c:\ and typed in c:\intrplay\max\maxrun which would cause the game to act like it was loading and then show the error message 'Screen Init Failed'.
And that's where you screw up, the game can't find the needed files launched from the C: prompt.

I had already reinstalled the game and prepared this:

Mounting the Virtual C: and the CD, as you see I use an ISO image, works faster.
Also the -freesize 500 param is only needed when installing the game, so you can do a full install and don't need the CD to play the game later.
click > Image
Mount lines here are of course adapted to my PC setup, adapt them to your personal folder/drive setup.

Choose full install:
click > Image

accept the install folder c:\intrplay\max\
click > Image

Use the autodetect for sound, works fine:
click > Image

The correct way to launch the game after closing/relaunching dosbox:
Mount your virtual C: and input
cd intrplay
cd max
maxrun

*Freesize* isn't needed anymore here.

click > Image

No problems whatsoever to run the game:
click > Image

That's how you must launch the game:
The correct way to launch the game after closing/relaunching dosbox:
Mount your virtual C: and input
cd intrplay
cd max
maxrun
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
freddcs

Thank you

Post by freddcs »

Dude, just liked to say thank you for posting this. The game is working fine.
CinoxFellpyre

Post by CinoxFellpyre »

After a bit I was afraid you were going to lose your patience, but I got it working. Thanks.