Forum Overhaul

Forum for all the suggestions that have 1. nothing to do with our two websites (Dosgames.com/ DosGamesArchive) and 2. are not bug reports.

Do you think the forum should be overhauled?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:03 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 14

Interon 2.0
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Interon 2.0 »

[DGO] Joris wrote:The reason why I never post here is because this forum is lame. There are no real discussions about games, but only guests who ask where they can find a game or how they can run their game in Windows XP. There are also people with very long signatures (Wally :Angry: ) which doesn't makes it nice to read the threads because I have to go through a lot of sh** before I see the actual post. The problem is that we are a group of individuals here and not a real community, and you can't do anything about that...
Wow Joris, you really hit the spot, at least for the most part...

If this forum is to be a cool place, there needs to be many changes made. This won't happen overnight. And we must work together, on figuring out what changes need to be made, co-operating, maybe appointing one of us as a temporary admin to oversee the major renovations (me or someone else), some MSN or IRC chatting between some of us, or whatever may help.

We must work at this, or DGF will be little more than a place for fly-by guests to ask for help in FOG and GGTW, while the rest of the place is almost lifeless and stale.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

[DGO] Joris wrote:The reason why I never post here is because this forum is lame. There are no real discussions about games, but only guests who ask where they can find a game or how they can run their game in Windows XP. There are also people with very long signatures (Wally :Angry: ) which doesn't makes it nice to read the threads because I have to go through a lot of sh** before I see the actual post. The problem is that we are a group of individuals here and not a real community, and you can't do anything about that...

OOO
My long sig..
I will fix it for ya :)
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

I think I mentioned a long time ago how to attract good people to the site, but you guys voted to keep it the same.. so here we are again.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Dopefish wrote:I suggest that the Media forum and Literature forum either both get removed (neither are overflowing with posts) or at very least combined into one because literature is a form of media.
I've said that 10000 million times.

And U_K:" SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That was in "the secret forum".
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Interon 2.0 wrote: appointing one of us as a temporary admin to oversee the major renovations (me or someone else)
I can do it just fine, thankyouverymuch.

IMO, literature and media are pretty good as they are... I don't really see any need to combine them.

[DGO] Joris: Any ideas how to make the forum better, though? (other than"delete everything!!!!")

Unknown K: I really, really liked those ideas, actually, but it's up to Emmzee if he wants them... so far, he hasn't said much about it.
Wally

Post by Wally »

I could do the following:

1. Clean up WFH's posts.

2. Compile a notepad document with common requests

I have already done the following:

1. Most GGTW requests are in the Dosgames Database.

2.Gone through Most of FOG and cleaned up smiley posts.

And have noticed

1. When you click page 26 the FOG screws up

2. Sometimes when deleting a post under Mod conditions it says 'Sorry you arent authorised to delete this post' (smileys and double postings)

3.Sometimes while locking posts says somthing about DEBUG mode but still works.

If we could upgrade this board a bit then it would remove these problems..

I havent got any problems with these at all
Interon 2.0
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Interon 2.0 »

The forum should be streamlined a bit. Merge Literature and Media with General Off Topic, that should make it more intuitive for people.

Other tips:

Make the Rules a Sticky thread in every sub-forum. In the thread, put a link to a web page (separate from the forum) that says the rules. (phpBB.com forum did this).
Example possible rules thread wrote: These are the rules of the forum. Please read them.

Click http://www.dosgames.com/forumrls.html
That would eliminate one section. Less sections mean more intutiveness. Also try to shorten forum descriptions.

And maybe hide the sports forum too.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:1. Clean up WFH's posts.
Um, what WFH posts? We deleted the offensive ones... all of them. What's left to clean up?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Well
Just remove him all together

All his game requests should go
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

He has been removed altogether. His accounts were deleted. Once again, what is left to clean up?

(And why should we delete harmless game requests?)
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Dogbreath wrote:[DGO] Joris: Any ideas how to make the forum better, though? (other than"delete everything!!!!")
I'll think of some good suggestions...
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Wally, you weren't even around when WFH was. You only want more power. Give it up, I haven't even seen any of his posts in a year.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Im not a power freak LOL..

I guess what im saying doesnt make sense.

Just the trait of his posts...

They are all on last pages.
Interon 2.0
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Interon 2.0 »

So guys, what's the plan? Are we keeping things mostly the same, or are we going to make some serious renovations, or what?

Let's hear the conclusion of the matter, shall we? B)
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

DB said we're keeping it the same. Besides, when the template is done, more members will stay. Not like it matters, my template won't work until the board is at least version 2.0.6.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I didn't say we're keeping it the same... I just said we're not deleting the database and starting from scratch. (There are quite a few mods (subforum, etc.) that I'd like to be implimented... but that's up to Emmzee to add)

The most important thing is that members here start good, informative discussions. When we get those going, we usually get 5+ pages of solid output... but most people seem content to just sit back and answer find old games posts... it's rare that people around here make their own topics.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Emmzee said he would not mind to apply all mods and start from scratch..

It is rare that people make their own topics because there aren't many people I have to admit.

Thus when the election is finished.

The majority of votes matters, no matter what any administrator says (Excepting Emmzee of course!)

BTW JMS and I havent voted yet and we would add 2 votes to yes on count
Wally

Post by Wally »

Dogbreath wrote: (Finally, I asked your permission before creating 1001 ways to kill Wally and you were more than happy with it... it was a joke thread meant to make fun of the flame wars that were going on. Clean up your memory before you accuse me of attacking you, please)
You didnt ask my permission.

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... art-0.html
If you just check there you had all my personal details there and wouldnt remove them..
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:
Dogbreath wrote: (Finally, I asked your permission before creating 1001 ways to kill Wally and you were more than happy with it... it was a joke thread meant to make fun of the flame wars that were going on. Clean up your memory before you accuse me of attacking you, please)
You didnt ask my permission.

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... art-0.html
If you just check there you had all my personal details there and wouldnt remove them..
1. Yes, I asked your permission, and you said it was "fine with you" as well as for Oz.

"(Note: this is an attempt on the behalf of the staff here at Dosgames to bring back the pure insanity of the Mixed Bag Topic and associated fun topics. (see DGF key topic listing) Have fun posting! And for the love of God-if you want to post a rant or bicker or flame about any of the stuff posted here-DO IT IN ANOTHER TOPIC. Hell, if you want to complain about the existence of this topic, DO IT IN ANOTHER TOPIC. Unlike others, this isn't meant to be a serious topic-don't try to make it that. Thanks!)"

posted there by myself near the beginning of the thread. It pretty much explains the purpose of the topic. To ease up tension from the flame war about whazhisfaces avatar. Once again, you agreed to it and it was "perfectly fine."

3. Oz, not I, posted your personal info and address. That was later edited out once I found out who did it. Get your facts straight. The only thing I posted was your name... which you had told everyone who had e-mail contact with you, anyway.

4. Once Emmzee and I found out Oz had posted your address and personal info, it was promptly removed. You have no justification in saying I "wouldn't remove them."

5. If you had a problem with this, you should've said something LAST YEAR rather than waiting until now to distort the truth. What good reason do you have for slandering me now? :rolleyes:
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:Emmzee said he would not mind to apply all mods and start from scratch..

It is rare that people make their own topics because there aren't many people I have to admit.

Thus when the election is finished.

The majority of votes matters, no matter what any administrator says (Excepting Emmzee of course!)

BTW JMS and I havent voted yet and we would add 2 votes to yes on count
People don't bother making their own topics anymore because there are very few people here that have anything constructive to add to them. Most of the time I want to discuss DOS gaming I do it somewhere else where people have something to add to the conversation.