DOS Dungeon Crawler / possibly Roguelike game with permadeath, fog of war, but fixed levels (available by 1995)

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
pkern

DOS Dungeon Crawler / possibly Roguelike game with permadeath, fog of war, but fixed levels (available by 1995)

Post by pkern »

My brain recalls a DOS game that I played I'd say around 1995. It had a top-down view similar to Rogue, I think ASCII-like but I might misremember. You started outside of a dungeon with the entry in the middle of the screen - with I think the same map every time. Monsters moved at the same speed as your character. There were some sort of gravestones outside with inscriptions that presumably showed when you walked up close. In the dungeon there were rooms. I'm pretty sure you only saw some distance within the room (fog of war). I recall no save feature but starting from the same place over and over again, thus I'm assuming permadeath. I ruled out the obvious roguelikes that turn up when searching for them (Rogue, Moria, Larn). There might have been stats on the screen, but I don't recall them. I also remember dying... often. ;-) I cannot tell anything about publishers, back then we got some games as stored in the German BTX plus whatever other people had on floppies.

I know this is very little to go by. I tried hard to imagine what the objective might have been. I think one had to collect items, lest I wouldn't have walked around. Very likely even keys. But I also couldn't find a screenshot that was close enough to trick my brain into remembering more, so far.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

ADOM maybe? Early versions (before v1.2) had no random dungeons according to the Wiki, and there are permanent dungeons in each game.
(I think I've played it, but it was long ago, when it was all ASCII stuff - now it has some nice graphics I think)

https://ancardia.fandom.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki