Bomberman alike game, but characters were bunnies... [Xplosive]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
miguelgf13

Post by miguelgf13 »

When I was a kid (in the 90's) my father used to buy many Dos games in floppy disks, I remember this one particular game that the gameplay was too similar (almost identical) to Bomberman; top view, same moving controls and even power-ups, the mainly difference was that the characters where bunnies or rabbits, as you prefer. I remember some power-ups like, if you grabbed a carrot you could run (move on the board) faster, if you grabbed a bomb the blast radius of your explosion was bigger, I remember another power up where you could place multiple bombs on the map, without that one you could only put one bomb, wait for it to explode and then you could place another. The main characters I'm sure where bunnies, I think just with a t-shirt, different colors to differenciate player 1 or player 2, both players starting at opposite sides of the level (player one on top left, and player 2 on bottom right) and to clear the level you had to kill all enemies on screen. Concerning the enemies I just remember one kind of a ghost or a monk of dark colour, but I'm pretty sure he was one of the most powerful, i cannot remember the "normal" enemies.

I think that's all I can remember, I might be 5 or 6 years old at that time, now I'm almost 30 so, pretty much time. I asked my father but is harder for him to remember, he knows what game I'm talking about (same as my sister) but we cannot remember the name, not even a clue of how to find it. Hope some of you have played it as well and help me knowing the name so I can search for a ROM or something like that, it will be a nice experience to play it with my dad and my sister like in the old days. Thanks for reading me and if anyone needs help I'll be glad to do so. :)

Sorry if there's a mispelling, english it's not my first language.
Last edited by miguelgf13 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Bomberman alike game, but characters where bunnies...

Post by Rwolf »

There is a group for games with rabbits/hares here (currently 209 listed): https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/an ... bits-hares
So you could look at those listed for DOS, maybe it's there?

Personally, I'd guess 'Bong Bong': https://www.mobygames.com/game/bong-bong
miguelgf13

Bomberman alike game, but characters where bunnies...

Post by miguelgf13 »

Thank's but it's not Bong Bong, that game looks like a platformer, and also the game i'm referring had slightly better graphics... I've also searched in the first link but does not appear there, thanks anyways for your help, I will keep hoping someone remebers that game haha.
KuchenSpinne

Bomberman alike game, but characters were bunnies...

Post by KuchenSpinne »

I know exactly, what game you mean!
I'm about your age and I also used to play this bomberman-clone back in the 90's. Your description fits perfectly to my memory, except for the "ghost or monk"-enemy. I don't remember that one, but I remember one enemy type was a grey spider, that dropped webs on the board, and when your Bunny moved over them, you got slowed. You could bomb those webs away of course, but I think the spider itself didn't make damage to you. I believe I only had a demo of the game so I could only play the first level with my brother back at that time. I'm pretty sure the endscreen showed some screenshots of further levels with many more enemies, but I hardly remember any of the pictures. There could be a green slime blob enemy, and maybe a frog of some sort, but I'm not really sure of that.

Unfortunately I do not know the name of the game!
But I would really like to find out, since I searched the whole Internet and couldn't find any clues except for your description. I hope someone can name the game. It would mean really much to me.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Have you guys looked in this MobyGames list?
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/dy ... t,0/so,1a/
KuchenSpinne

Post by KuchenSpinne »

Sorry for the late reply.
I just double checked the MobyGames-list you posted. Unfortunately I didn't find the game there (that is, of course, if the game I mean is the same that miguelgf13 means.)
But the 2D-games looked very similar to what I remember the game looking like. I had some high hopes, when I read "Rise of the Rabbits", but the rabbit-characters looked nothing like in my memory. They definitively wore some sort of t-shirt, just as miguelgf13 said. And it must have been a dos game. But thanks a lot for your effort. The search goes on.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

I looked at a Bomberman clone list on a different site and realised that I probably know the game you're talking about: Xplosive by Triple Team:
The game is freeware now, you can grab it here:
https://www-wjp.cs.uni-sb.de/leute/priv ... osive.html
Nvser5

Post by Nvser5 »

It sounds so similar to "dyna blaster"
KuchenSpinne

Post by KuchenSpinne »

Sorry for the even later reply.

I can't belive it. THIS IS THE GAME! Xplosive by Tripple Team

I thought I would find out, what that game was. Amazing! Thanks a lot! :clap:
I'm going to download DOSBox and play this.
I still can handly belive it ... it's been such a long time and now I will be playing the game with my brother again.
Thank you very much!

Of course I don't know if thats the game, miguelgf13 ment. Only he can answer that, but I sure found my game here. ^_^