2D game from early 90s I played on arcade machine

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Lord Viper

Post by Lord Viper »

I remember sinking a lot of quarters into a game where you were a warrior and your weapon was a bladed weapon on a chain. You could upgrade the weapon with different blades. Including a flaming one. I remember with weaker blade it would take a lot of hits to break a wall or bricks. In some of the walls you could find hidden stuff. You could also upgrade your armour. I remember the end game boss character was a dragon. Anyone have any clue what I am talking about? It's been more than 20 years since I played it.

I remember you could shoot different areas of the wall with your bladed chain weapon in spots to find hidden armor and weapons upgrade. I think they came in barrels or chests. Gameplay was similar to ghosts and goblins, except gameplay moved horizontally and vertically. I'm pretty sure there were creatures (plants) that shot fireballs. I remember having to crouch to flail my chain weapon at them. It was a one player game, your character was visible, birds type view. You had to fight your way through the levels, collecting weapon and armour upgrades to be able able to take on tougher enemies.

This is driving me crazy. Any help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Lord Viper on Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

90s arcade game

Post by MrFlibble »

Your description sure could use some more details, please head to the posting rules for hints on what might be useful information.

I'll explain why this is important: barring that someone recognizes the game because they played it (or at least know it), a good way to identify it is to look in the MobyGames database. But you need to narrow down your search so that filters may be applied. Here's where the details come in.

For example, when you say arcade, do you mean a vague genre definition, or that you played it on an arcade machine?
Lord Viper

Post by Lord Viper »

Thanks. I've included as much detail as I can recall.
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

I think it's Rygar.
Lord Viper

Post by Lord Viper »

Game was not Rygar. Graphics were better than Rygar. I remember there being things that shot fireballs, and I am pretty sure there were witches/sorceress enemies. Lots of hidden treasures in brick walls that you could break, although you had to know where they were because there was nothing on the wall signifying it was breakable. Some of the treasures and upgrades could be found half way up a wall you were scaling. I also remember the ability to be able to zig zag jumping up vertical corridors