Labyrinth/Maze Windows game 2000-1995

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
CitizenSimp

Post by CitizenSimp »

Hello! I am trying to help my girlfriend find an old game that she played when she was a young child.
I apologize in advance for the lack of detail and information.

What platform did you play this game on? : Windows
What year(s) did you play this game in? : She played between the years of 2005-1995 ( We know the game was around from before 2000)
What was the genre of the game? : Labyrinth/Maze, Puzzle.
Were the graphics 2D or 3D? : 3D

What was the perspective of the game : Behind-view (she could see a little bit of the head of the character.)
If there was a main character: To her memory the character was something like Kirby.
What did the (main) character(s) look like? : somewhat like Kirby
What were the objectives in the game? : collect resources and stack it on top of the characters head, Drop off resources at some sort of drop off point. There may have been monsters but not sure if there were.
Did the game time flow realistically: Realistically

I've done a search and the closest game that resemble the game visually is "CUBE: Discover your Cleverness"

There may or may not be pink roses or gems. These are the resources in some sort of area. Once all roses / gems have been collected you move to the next level. The resources stacked on top of each other and got taller the more you gathered. The more of these pink roses / gems you collected the slower your character moved.
There were obstacles like Spiky balls that moved and could hit you.
Background of the game was dark.
The floors may have been grey
The main character hops around as it moves with Arrow keys.

She may or may not have downloaded the game from Yahoo Kids Korea.

I Seriously cannot thank you enough if you manage to find the game. I've searched for almost 2 years and have yet to find it.
burnshot

Post by burnshot »

Hello! I am not sure if you found this game yet but I've been wondering about it too. I vividly remember something exactly like how you're describing. Did the game also feature spikey balls that would follow you around the maze? I am also attaching what I believe was what the character looked like, some kind of fox or bunny like creature that hopped. Does any of this ring a bell?

EDIT: I found the game I was looking for. Not sure if it's the same but try looking up "Gumbelmon."

EDIT 2: My bad, it appears that Gumbelmon is a clone that was put on android. The "original" game was called "Hopmon"
Attachments
Memory of character
Memory of character
978465.png (17.48 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Doubtful, as the Gumbelmon game is for the Android operating system, requiring an emulator to run under Windows, which the OP used. (Android itself did not exist until 2003, so it was not available when the OP thinks the game existed)

Anyway, here is a list of maze-games to search: https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/ge ... ,75/so,1d/
(there are probably many more, not listed, and not many browser games are documented - but this was a windows download I understand?)

'Yahoo! Kids' is available on the archive.org site, but the early stuff is in japanese only, and it is rather frugal at the start, so finding when the korean language selection first was available could be a start at when to search for the game.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980901000 ... ahoo.co.jp

the korean version seems to start in 2000:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000501000 ... yahoo.com/

I looked at some of the early downloadable programs, they are mainly for DOS, and educational, some with rather obscure descriptions, and no pictures of the games themselves that I saw. Some 15 kids games, all were <500kB in size, ranging from Tetris clones to spelling tests.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000526161 ... u/hprg.htm
burnshot

Post by burnshot »

Please read the second edit, thank you.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Ah, missed that; well it is possibly Hopmon, and there were some digimon figures on the 'Yahoo! Kids' website, so maybe.

There is a mobygames entry for Hopmon, though it says it was released in 2002, which is a bit later; maybe the OP can verify if it is the proper game.

A good thing is the game is being changed to freeware according to the devs: http://saitogames.com/hopmon/
burnshot

Post by burnshot »

Yes, I was referring to the 2002 game.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Thanks Rwolf! I played the demo over a decade ago and got hooked. Can't wait for Troy...
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

@486 player: If you mean Troy 2000, it is already freeware; most of the games on that site were freeware now, only a couple were shareware or payware, what I saw.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Quick test proved that it doesn't work in 98/XP.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Ah, it needs Windows 7/8/10 according to the manual in the download zip package, this is for v1.3.
The download page text is not updated regarding O/S requirements, it probably comes from v1.2 which still was a shareware item.

(I tried v1.3 on Win7, worked fine there)

The original DOS Troy from 1996 is also available for download at the bottom of the same page, with some info for DOSBox.