Military 2d shooter [Meteor]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Crownismine

Post by Crownismine »

Alright so it's a 2D shooting game where you get to control a general with a green army suit and your objective is to locate and activate a red light to become green , any soldier with a red suit is your enemy in the game , and those with green suits are your allies I guess , the game also has tanks , helicopters , planes and each of them could be an ally if they were green or an enemy if they were red or some other colour , it resembles counter strike 2D in view , i played this game on windows XP I reckon , in 2005-2006 something like that ,and that's it , I wish that i've provided enough info, and thank you
Siegehart

Military 2d shooter

Post by Siegehart »

bump!
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Military 2d shooter

Post by Rwolf »

Umm...I keep thinking of 'Army Men', but those were plastic green toy soldiers, possibly not what you meant?

https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/army-men-universe
Siegehart

Military 2d shooter

Post by Siegehart »

I am still looking for this game :)

Please help me out here.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Military 2d shooter

Post by Rwolf »

Hmm..more detail needed, like: were you playing just as a single character (who just happened to be a general), or did you have an army or group of green men to control or collect as helpers?

Could you use vehicles or were your guy just on foot, did you use Rambo-style attacks or maybe need a sneaky mode to get at that red button?

Was it a single mission to get at the one button to finish the whole game, or multiple levels with buttons in each level to find?

Top down or side view?
Siegehart

Military 2d shooter

Post by Siegehart »

From what I remember;

You were playing as a lone wolf marine soldier which was of color green, you had npcs which were friendlies just walking around in base (where you spawn and over the map).

You fought red enemies and I remember it was a Top-Down shooter style game.

You could pick up different weapons and health packs, from what I remember you could not control the vehicles they were scattered around the map as enemies.

Edit: This might be true or not, but I got a sandbox feeling from the game, where you could use the map editor and create your own maps and place enemies as well :D
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Closest thing I found was Meteor, a bit basic in the graphics, but still a 2D top-down military shooter with a map editor.
(There are others, but those I saw often had magic/monsters to fight against or various vehicles to use)

ps. the player starts out as a sergeant, but will advance through the game if successful.
Last edited by Rwolf on Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siegehart

Military 2d shooter

Post by Siegehart »

Oh my freaking god you actually found it! Thank you! :D
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Military 2d shooter

Post by Rwolf »

Happy to help.

There is also a Meteor 2, where the player character has risen in ranks to Colonel, so maybe he will make General in the end?

Both games are freeware and the Windows versions can be downloaded from the developers website, linked from the Mobygames entry.

There is also some community mods for the games, linked from the developer site.

Also - the earliest versions was for DOS, one is found here at Dosgames:
Meteor v1.00B (DOS)