Windows 95 Fantasy Strategy Game I Played in 95

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
GlassWizzard

Post by GlassWizzard »

Could I get some help naming this old game? I played it at christmas in 1995 on Windows 95. I don't think it was an RTS but I think it would definitely be classed as a strategy game,, I don't remember base building or commanding an army, just controlling one unit, maybe two but my memory is hazy there on how many units you move around.

I do remember a golem and I think it morphed into something else. I think the golem (or golems if you could get more then one) was an stoney/sandy orange colour. The first level (the only one I remember) was on grass and the map was a dark green colour.

I know that in Blood and Magic you have a golem that morphs into a tower, and that seems very familiar but when I look at video of that game I definitely do not see what I remember. The view is your typical top down view you get in RTS games, but I don't recall base building or unit production and I'm sure you never controlled a bunch of units at once, like an army.

There was your typical information bar on the right side of the screen, I don't remember anything that was one it and I don't think there was any such thing on any other side either, just the right.

That's all I can remember I'm afraid. Does that information mean anything to anyone?

Thank you
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hmm, somehow your description made me think of Gladiator but this is probably not it. I'm not even sure if there are golems that can morph.

Do you remember if the graphics were high- or low-res? I mean like Warcraft II or more like Warcraft 1? Also was it real-time or turn-based? Can you tell if the game you played was a full commercial title, or a demo thereof, or some shareware or freeware game?

Could it have been something like Fallen Heroes?
GlassWizzard

Post by GlassWizzard »

Hi MrFibble, while I can't be certain I'm almost sure it was not turn based. It's definitely neither of those two game you mentioned but as for the resolution I'm think it was higher res,. The resolution of Gladiator in those screenshots seems too low res, but the resolution of Fallen Heroes seems like a good match.

As for it being freeware/shareware or a demo, I never ran into any restrictions in the game, so definitely not shareware or a demo. It came preinstalled on my PC, the person who built the machine will have installed some games on it knowing that we didn't really know how to do it ourselves (he did the same thing for the next PC he built for us).

With it being so long ago, I could possibly be mixing memories of Blood and Magic, the game definitely contained golems, but the golems may not have morphed, but I really feel like they did. I think I also remember a blue character, maybe the golems were blue, or some of them at least. I don't have a very good memory of the game to extract too much info from, but I'll know the game if I see it.

I'm quite sure the graphics were better then Gladiator and Fallen Heroes. The grass in those two is too green also, it was considerably darker in my memory. This was the very first PC game I ever played. Fallen Heroes doesn't have a bar/side panel on the right of the screen, and gladiators has one that I think is too big, it also has one going across the bottom, which I don't think the game I'm trying to remember had.

Hopefully that info was useful.