Co-op martial arts platformer ~1998

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
vakontation

Co-op martial arts platformer ~1998

Post by vakontation »

I don't remember much.

Quite sure when you would play 2 player co-op (on the same computer, clearly.) you would both be controlling two copies of the same character, maybe slightly differently colored at most. Don't remember any sort of character selection, but maybe I just never got far enough in the game, haha.

Opening cinematic is pretty memorable to me: the main character's girlfriend would get kidnapped by some thugs and the main character would get chucked out through a wooden door - breaking it - onto the street. He would have to fight off some thugs then proceed to try and rescue his girlfriend.

The fighting that I remember largely consisted of grabs and throws, but I have a feeling that I had extremely limited understanding of controls and movesets, so you could probably do a lot more. I think you could jump, but not certain. Game was primarily walking to the right onto a new scene where some goons would jump out at you and you would have to fight them off, then proceed to the next scene. I feel like there were 'boss fights' against particular enemies with special moves, but I am pretty shaky about this.

The main character, best as my memory serves me, was a pretty simple guy in a white karate gi, I think with a headband. Around the same time I did also play some game resembling street fighter, so it is very possible I have mixed the two up in my memory and put Ryu into the platformer I am describing by mistake. The only reason I have a hunch this is not the case is that the street fighter esque game had much larger and more detailed characters than the platformer, and I feel like I have a memory of the little karate guy.

Thanks!
Lifelong gamer - MSDos games in 90s - Age of Empires 2 2001-present - Mario Kart, Tennis, Party, Golf 2002-2012 -
Runescape 2005-2018 - Age of Empires 3 2006-2007 - Warcraft 3 custom games 2009-2012 - Minecraft 2013-present - Dota 2 2013-2017 - League of Legends 2017-present - Teamfight Tactics 2019-present

Huge fan of Teamfight Tactics & autobattler genre