CD-Man 1.5 full-version; does this exist, or is it a myth?

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Gagster

Post by Gagster »

For those of you who don't know, CD-Man is a PacMan Clone for MS-DOS that had a shareware version and a full-version, and I suppose most are familiar with the shareware version with the main character looking quite similar to PacMan itself.

The shareware version had 2 finished levels, with the third level being a work in progress. The full version however, labeled version 2.0, had the main character swapped out with a character called "the Snoofer" (probably for legal reasons) and 2 player support, with 5 complete levels.

There's a video on YouTube however made by Lazy Game Review, LGR, regarding CD-Man, and he talks about one fabled version 1.5 full-version of the game that supposedly features the same main character as the shareware version, in other words the PacMan-clone, and the feature set of version 2.0.

Is there any evidence of a full-version of CD-Man version 1.5 featuring the PacMan-clone as the main character, 2 player support and all 5 completed levels? I suppose the creators couldn't release that version in stores because of legal reasons, but it seems like it was possible to mail order this version a long time ago however?

What is mostly found on the web regarding version 1.5, is the shareware version in my experience.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

That's an interesting question and the answer is 'I don't know'.

Also, from reading the manual of CD-MAN 2.0 I learned that supposedly there was another version, branded 'Chewit', which was a promotional release, sold with, well 'Chewits' candy. That version was supposedly identical to 2.0 but had the infinite lives cheat of the 'pre-release'. I tried to obtain it, but most people haven't heard of it, and it seems to have disappeared.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Maybe this youtube channel shows it (Chewit)?

It seems to be titled 'The Muncher Compo' on the title screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdYWwqMt0wo

Runs on a ZX emulator though...maybe another version.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Obviously not...

Below is the relevant excerpt from the Skyroads X-Mas trainer manual (circa 1994). Creative Dimensions is the company that developed CD-Man (hence the name) and was also responsible for distribution of Blue Moon's Skyroads in North America.
CREATIVE DIMENSIONS
Product Info 1994

CD-MAN - This game turns a favorite classic into a whole new arcade
experience filled with fabulous graphics. Creepy characters test
your reflexes in a series of challenging mazes. Known as the
best Pac-man game ever. This is ver 1.5 and is available as
shareware. (vga/ega 512k) registration: $15

CD-MAN VERSION 2.0 - The rest of CD-MAN. Loaded with great new mazes and
adversaries. New main character and new features! Includes
levels from cd-man 1.5, but the Snoofer is in charge of the
munching.
(vga/ega 512k) Joystick/KB $29 + S&H

CHEWIT - A form of Cd-Man with all the levels from ver.1.5 and 2 but with
few extras like: Endless life function, Unlimited levels in diff-
iculty, jump directly to any maze, no copy-protection, Extended
graphics.
Highly recommended for serious CD-MAN players.
(vga/ega 512k) Joystick/KB $39 + S&H
So it mentions both the elusive 1.5 and the even more elusive Chewit. You can see why I would be interested in Chewit, however I could never ever find, not just a single copy, but even a single person who could testify that they saw it or played it. I imagine that CD-Man 1.5 is the same.

Fun fact: sometime in the late 90s, I managed to contact CD's sales/support by email, looking for the game. They assured me that they were still selling it in California, and even had some shrink-wrapped copies and everything. Back then I was a kid and did not have access to funds (much less for international shipping), and they obviously wouldn't email me a copy. Heck, I can't even be 100% sure they understood that I was looking for 'Chewit' and not the regular CDMAN 2.0, so I have no idea whether this 'upgraded' version has ever been compiled and sold.

Of course, "Creative Dimensions" have long went under, and I don't know of anyone who inherited the assets. Back then it looks like the entire distribution was based on mailed copies on floppy, produced individually for each order, so even if these versions truly existed, I wouldn't have any confidence that any "master copies" have even survived. Looks like we will never know.
Gagster

Post by Gagster »

If there only was a way to bring back the original PacMan-like mascot to CD-Man 2.0; I'm not fond of "The Snoofer" character at all. He just seems so out of place. I suppose there's no way without access to the original source-files of the game to change the actual sprites in the game?

I tried a "noob" method by replacing the *.CDM files of CD Man 2.0 with the *.CDM files from the shareware version (Graphic 1, 2, 3 & Screen 1, 2, 3 + Title). The end result was a bunch of distorted graphics, and a lot of pacmans on the floor of the first stage.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Gagster wrote: I suppose there's no way without access to the original source-files of the game to change the actual sprites in the game?
There always is, but you need someone with experience in hacking to do so. The noob method, as you described it, rarely works.