DOS/Windows Top-down Fantasy Adventure with Fool/Jester [The Legend of Lezda: The Adventure of Jinx]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
geurillapaint

DOS/Windows Top-down Fantasy Adventure with Fool/Jester [The Legend of Lezda: The Adventure of Jinx]

Post by geurillapaint »

Brief explanation of what I can remember
I do not know the release date, but I played it sometime between 1990 and 2000. It was a top down fantasy/adventure game where the main character was a fool/jester. The character was roughly the same size and graphic style as the MC from God of Thunder, aside from being in a purple jester outfit and I believe had a goofy smile. You moved the character by moving your mouse. You would left click to swing a sword, right click to use an item, and click both left and right mouse buttons to pick up and drop your weapon.

Description
I vaguely remember a partial description. It was something along the lines of:

You are a court jester who dreams of one day becoming a knight. One day, the king summons you to his court and orders you to adventure off and kill the 8 sages trying to destroy the world. (or something like that)

Gameplay
The intro screen showed a person in a teal shirt weilding a magic orb of some sort. (don't remember the game title, otherwise I wouldn't be asking lol)

The game started you off in the left hand side of the screen in a dirt circle with a PC. He would speak some dialogue about training you with a sword. You start equipped with a wooden sword. This was near a river or some body of water to the top part of the screen, seperated from you by a fence, and the castle was south and centered. After you fight for awhile, you go to the castle, get the king's orders to adventure, and leave the castle, going north on the right margin of the screen.

The first enemies you fine are some sort of goblin creatures armed with blue swords. You can kill them and take their weapon, moving your player around the screen by moving your mouse, and left clicking to hit them when you were near. This was not turnbased. You could only carry one weapon at a time, and had to first dual click to drop your wooden sword before taking theirs. There was an option to go right and enter a town, which allowed you to get a magic weilding companion, who was on the intro screen of the game. I don't know if there were other options in the town, as I was a reckless child and didn't explore the area.

Going back to the goblin area after leaving town, you could go north two screens and left one screen. the goblins would have better weapons, which were red swords, and they dealt a bit more damage. You would eventually get to an area with a cliffside, and a new weapon to pick up: an unripe banana.

There were some other parts after this that are too hazy to remember and too vague to write down.

Skipping ahead a bit, further in to the game led to a cave like area. There was an off path in the cave that led to a room with a frying pan, seperated from you by a body of water. If you chose to take the companion with you, they would shout "That's it! The legendary fry pan of scrambling!" I never got the pan, so I don't know what happens. It's possibly the best weapon in the game.

There was a puzzle in the cave that had you fall down holes. you were given 4 options. depending on the option you chose, was a weapon you received. You were dropped in to a room set up as 3 sectioned off paths. If you took one path you would have to leave the cave to get to the other two through the puzzle sequence.

The weapons you could get down these paths were the stone sword, the glass sword, and the rose. The glass sword did a ridiculous amount of damage, but broke upon swinging it. The stone sword was much stronger than the unripe banana, but it made you move slower. swing speed did not change. The rose did very little damage, but you could swing it fast, and whatever you hit with it would move very slow (stone sword slow) for about 5 or 10 seconds.

The fourth path in the cave led to what I believe was a boss room. I assume it was the final (and only as far as I could remember) boss, as the room was filled with 8 sages. They would randomly teleport around and shoot energy balls at you. I don't remember what happens after the point of starting the battle, I just remember losing every time.

This is all the detail I can possibly remember. I really, really, REALLY want to play this game again. I know somewhere on gamefaqs, there's a walkthorugh for this game, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. Please help me.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

DOS/Windows Top-down Fantasy Adventure with Fool/Jester

Post by MrFlibble »

The only game like you describe with a court jester for a protagonist that I can think of right now is Sword Quest 1. I didn't play it much so I'm not sure how close it gets to your description otherwise.
geurillapaint

Post by geurillapaint »

Sadly, it is not Sword Quest I, which I've also played before. Sword Quest is turn based combat, where the game I'm looking for was live action like God of Thunder, but controlled by moving the mouse. The Jester character was essentially a glorified mouse cursor with a weapon.
desertfury

Post by desertfury »

I am not sure of the name but I came here to say I do remember playing this as a little kid. I have been searching all over the internet for this game for the past month and just stumbled across this post. You are not alone, I very much remember this game.

I vaguely remember a sequence where you go down a certain path and end up in a some sort of treasure room and get an end game screen saying something along the lines of you got too greedy and the picture was of the jester/fool smiling with a gold tooth.

I am still looking for the name of this game. I remember calling it "Lezda" as a kid but unfortunately my siblings and I had nicknames for pretty much everything and that was not the name of the game. We called it "Lezda" because we thought it was similar to "Zelda" but it was a "cheap knockoff".
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

This query was also posted by the same user 'geurillapaint' back in 2014: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20337
and also repeated in 2019: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25718&p=136755#p136755

No solution though, but more of the description perhaps.
Yancy

Post by Yancy »

desertfury wrote: I am not sure of the name but I came here to say I do remember playing this as a little kid. I have been searching all over the internet for this game for the past month and just stumbled across this post. You are not alone, I very much remember this game.

I vaguely remember a sequence where you go down a certain path and end up in a some sort of treasure room and get an end game screen saying something along the lines of you got too greedy and the picture was of the jester/fool smiling with a gold tooth.

I am still looking for the name of this game. I remember calling it "Lezda" as a kid but unfortunately my siblings and I had nicknames for pretty much everything and that was not the name of the game. We called it "Lezda" because we thought it was similar to "Zelda" but it was a "cheap knockoff".
I just found this forum and post because I'm looking for the same exact game. And I called it Lezda also, I'm absolutely sure that is what it is called. Your description fits my memory of it. I'm also sure the jester guy's name was Jinx
geurillapaint

Post by geurillapaint »

That sounds really familiar. I'm going to look that up
geurillapaint

Post by geurillapaint »

Not so sure on the jester's name being Jinx. There's an actual ps1 game called jinx that has a jester of that name, and that's definitely not it. Why is this game so hard to find? lol.

I even tried going through the way back machine, cause gamefaqs had a walkthrough of it, but unfortunately not knowing the name, it's like looking for a needle with a haystack, and you don't know what the needle looks like.
Yancy

Post by Yancy »

geurillapaint wrote: Not so sure on the jester's name being Jinx. There's an actual ps1 game called jinx that has a jester of that name, and that's definitely not it. Why is this game so hard to find? lol.

I even tried going through the way back machine, cause gamefaqs had a walkthrough of it, but unfortunately not knowing the name, it's like looking for a needle with a haystack, and you don't know what the needle looks like.
I've been digging around online for years too. This is a major head scratcher!
Onasteeek

Post by Onasteeek »

I too have been searching for this game for years. The full name is "The Legend of Lezda: The Adventure of Jinx". I remember that the developer called it adware or something similar and when you moved between screens on the map a splash screen would briefly pop up that said "Your Ad Here". I made it all the way to the end (I think) and had to fight a knock-off Darth Vader-looking guy but I don't think I ever finished it.
ttg1989

Post by ttg1989 »

Hello, I have a copy of this game. I'll upload it tomorrow. It's on a CD collection that I have called 5001 games, which contains mostly shareware dos games. The full name of the game is The Legend of Lezda: The Adventure of Jink and it's by a company called HPC GameShop. Here is a screenshot of the title screen.
Attachments
lezda.png
lezda.png (34.84 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
ttg1989

Post by ttg1989 »

Alright, I have uploaded a copy of the game:
https://archive.org/details/LEZDA
geurillapaint

Post by geurillapaint »

THATS FREAKING IT!!!!! THANK YOU
ttg1989

Post by ttg1989 »

geurillapaint wrote: THATS FREAKING IT!!!!! THANK YOU
You're welcome, glad to help. If archive.org will allow me to, I'll upload .iso files of the 5001 games cd's. It has a lot of obscure DOS shareware games from the 90s on it (including this one) and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them have disappeared completely. I've found a few copies of the CD on ebay but the sellers want close to $100 for it. Since afaik the company that published it is long gone, I think I can upload the iso's without difficulty (All of the games on the CD are either freeware or shareware).
Jackmo_Jones

Post by Jackmo_Jones »

I know I'm doing a necro on this thread but I literally made an account here so I could say from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!!!.

I have legit been looking for even a shred of information on this game for over 20 years. I went to a computer expo in Denver with my dad when I was a teen and there was a stand with thousands of floppys with a bunch of games I have never heard of and one in particular caught my eye. Legend of Lezda the Adventures of Jinx! Being a huge Zelda fan it peaked my interest but we were on our way out of the expo and I didn't get a chance to buy it.

For 20 years I've been trying to find any information on this game or even just proof that it exists. Again I must thank you, you've legit made my decade.