Browser-Based Fantasy RPG Game from 90s w/ Noble Ranks

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Juggknot

Post by Juggknot »

Here's a summary of the game:

Platform: Browser-based (I believe it was using Java on a website)

Years: ~1995 to ~2005

Genre: RPG - Fantasy

Graphics: 2D (no animations; just still images that looked painted)

Plot: I don't really remember the main plot. From what I remember, you start off as a low social rank (I think peasant), and work your way up to a Knight or other high rank to kill dragons and whatnot. You get a set number of moves/turns per day.

Perspective: There wasn't any animations. Just still painted images. You click on the images to go to different sections and places to explore. Each click costs one move. Monster battles was just a painted image of them with battle text being generated in bottom-left corner.

Main Character: You are the main character, but I don't remember being able to ever see my own character. Just my inventory and character gear slots.

Monsters: It's hard to recall which enemies there were early on. I would like to think standard fantasy creatures. Mid-later game, there are sections/places with dragons and genies. There were places you could click on, like a picture of clouds, volcanoes, grasslands, etc., and you battle with a random monster after clicking on a place. You got coin and loot afterwards. Monsters can damage gear.

Objective: Best way to explain the objectives is that you get a certain amount of moves/turns a day. You get more as you level up. Each time you click on an image to travel to it, it used a move/turn. If you are outside of the city and run out of turns, you are forced to camp. You can buy camping gear in town to help with rusting of weapons. Most of the time when you come back to play the next day, some of your gear will be rusted. The game indicated this when you logged in to play. I think some gear can be destroyed (or just severely rusted/broken) this way too along with inventory items. You can have the blacksmith in town repair your weapons. You can avoid this by paying some coin to at the tavern to rent a room to sleep in. As you rank up, you fight increasingly difficult monsters. There are a specific set number of creatures per area. When you click on an area, you could fight a random monster.

Time: You received a set amount of moves/turns every 24 hours. I believe you received more turns per day as you ranked up.

Developer/Publisher: I really have no clue. I don't think this game was produced by a big company as the game was completely free, yet it was played by tons of people.

In more detail, there really only was one main castle/town. You could access other areas of the castle after you have reached certain ranks. You can click on images to move around and move outside the castle into the grasslands. Here you can decide to click on an image to fight grassland monsters or click on like two other images to travel to more distant and harder lands. I remember one choice further in that there were clouds as one options, mountains as another, and a way to go back where you came from. I believe the cloud image had genies and the mountains had a bunch of dragons that were tough for a long time. You could open your inventory and place gear into slots, like sword, shield, gauntlets, boots, helmet, and amulet. Could be more, hard to remember. Also, instead of level numbers, you rank up using nobility ranks; e.g. Knight, Baron, Count, Duke, Archduke, Lord, etc. There were a lot of ranks in this fashion. The game is mainly single player, but you can see a leader board and see where you rank with other other players. I think one of the biggest things that set this game apart from other games is that you could camp outside town and wake up (come back) the next day to find some of your gear has rusted (and thus not as effective or usable). You could buy a tent and other camping stuff to fend this off this effect on longer journeys. I don't recall there being quests, but I could be wrong.

Another way to put this game is that it seemed like the next step in evolution of rpg text based games. The battles were text battles with a still image and RNG. There were a lot of nice painted images in the game. I'm 95% sure this game used Java and worked in IE.

Any help figuring out the name of this game is greatly appreciated.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Maybe Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD) bases games:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/browser/l ... een-dragon
http://www.mobygames.com/game/browser/k ... f-loathing
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/darkwood

Looks like the Green Dragon remake is still online, didn't check for KoL: http://lotgd.net/home.php?

Based on the BBS Door series LORD:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/legen ... -new-world
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Thinking of BBS games, there were things like TradeWars and The Pit and VGA Planets and more.

In the young internet I remember playing similar type games UltraCorps and Evernight both developed by a friend's company and eventually bought out by different people. (Nice to see they are still running!)

Many years later I recall a conquest style castle-based turned based strategy game, and another friend played lots of these "tick-" based games - one turn "tick" a day, or two, or one an hour, etc. But I don't really have a name for them. The game you are describing sort of sounds like one of those, though less strategic war against other players. But also sounds like someone making a single player game with similar technology.
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

gizmoraleon

Post by gizmoraleon »

it's called dragon court if you find it available anywhere let me know
gizmoraleon

Post by gizmoraleon »

here is a screenshot i found