Ball shooting game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Myph.

Ball shooting game

Post by Myph. »

Hello!

I'm looking for a game that I played when I was very young. It's a guy in an area with a big ball. When he shoots it, it becomes 2 smaller balls, and when he shoots it again smaller and smaller untill u wipe them out.
When he gets hit by one of these objects, u basically fail, and he shouts various stuff, our laughs. And when u ruined up ur tries, he will say; 'GAME OVER MAN!'

Does anyone have any clue how this game is called? I also remember I Always put my soundboxes very loud, because it surely was fun!

Thanks in advance.

~Myph.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Sounds like an Asteroids variant (check out the list at MobyGames).
Myph.

Post by Myph. »

Well, the info looks similair, but it's not related to spaceships or whatsoever. Thanks for the help though, It was some kind of Multi colored ball, and everytime u got hit by it like mentioned before, the guy would shout 'YOU'RE DESPICABLE' or 'HAHAHAHAHA' Anything like it.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Old ball shooting game

Post by MrFlibble »

Myph. wrote:I'm looking for a game that I played when I was very young.
It may help narrow down the search if you try to remember at least the approximate years when you played it, and the platform (DOS, Windows etc.). Please refer to the posting guidelines for more information.
Myph

Sorry

Post by Myph »

Ah alright, it was around 1998/2000 but the game was from my dads old comp with windows 3.1 on it. Also DOS, and I had to reach it via a DOS menu, that I remember.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

Your game description is similar to "Pang" & "Super Pang" for PC.
However, the one you are looking for with a voice comments at the end seems like one of those "Pang" clones. I have tried a few of these "Pang" shareware clones before but can't remember the names. Hope that this will bring you one step closer to finding the game.

*edit*
One "Pang" clone that I remember so far is Spit Wad Willy (aka Pea Shootin' Pete). There is still others.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

To me and as someone else said, it sounds like Buster Bros, minus the screaming at the end by the characters themselves, although I do recall a voice in the background speaking on various occasions. It was a two player arcade game ported to the home consoles including the PS1 called Buster Bros Collection that had all three games on one handy disk.

The first two games had a Tour Mode and dealt with the brothers who start off only being able to shoot a single harpoon each, traveling the world and shooting all the bubbles that would clear the stage. The bubbles would bounce off of anything- the ceiling, the blocks in the middle, the walls, etc. You had adversaries like birds, crabs, etc. that would travel along the ground, wall or ceiling or even fly around and pop the bubbles. Although they may help at times, they did more harm than good as I recall, popping the bubbles to smaller ones, usually the tiniest form which was also the fastest, giving it the shortest bounce height/range and making it the deadliest in my opinion. Also touching one of the other creatures made you not able to shoot your harpoon which could really make you dead meat or disrupt your shots already fired.

Other weapons included the ability to shoot two harpoons, a single shot grappling hook which was a ceiling hugging weapon that was good in the sense that it would hold for a few seconds and really helped with those pesky creatures on the ground and tiny bubbles in tight corridors, (Once the tip of your regular harpoon touched anything, even if something as close as an inch from your head, it instantly disappeared.) but if miss placed could spell disaster since as I recall you had to wait a few seconds for it to “dissolve” on it's own before you could place another shot. (And in this game those few seconds felt like forever and would make you hold your breath each and every time.) But you could also use it as a shield of sorts by running back and forth between the dangling cord that now looks like a solid piece of metal. Another weapon was the machine gun that was my favorite, because it fired so fast and shot two or three bullets at a time.

Other items were hour glasses that gave a few more seconds, an alarm clock that would freeze time for a few seconds and great for trying to get as many bubbles hit as possible, but sucked with the grappling hook since precious seconds went by as you waited for your gun to be activated again. (Also the alarm clock allowed invulnerability while the clock was ticking since you could run through bubbles trying to kill them with your gun, then the bubbles would flash as time was about to resume and if not careful you would die from touching them.) Dynamite as I recall exploded all bubbles into their smallest form... (But with out effecting any tiny bubbles already on the screen.) meaning you have 100 little bastards roaming around trying to kill you... You also had a 1up doll and a shield good for one hit that would otherwise kill you instantly and food that simply gave you points and which you could shoot so you did not have to wait for it to touch the ground to be had. (Having a high enough score also awarded the player with an extra life as I recall.)

The levels were designed in a puzzle sense, but with out it being shoved down your throat. Although the basics was to destroy all bubbles, how you did it was up to you. No two games were always a like in my opinion. And I am not sure if the power ups were placed in the same locations all the time or not. With two players it was even funner. If you had two people who were competent, you would share the weapons and power ups, using one with the machine gun and perhaps the other with the wall gripper for tight spots. You could communicate and know which bubbles to shoot and when, while others to leave alone for a time. I generally tried to work on one big one at a time until all the tiny bubbles of that original bubble were gone. But that is easier said then done. However if one or both players did not work as a team, one guy would try to collect everything and shoot anything which made it harder for both in the end.

And the stages would change to suit the area you were in. The world map would have you fly by plane to a new zone. The background images were nice. Ice levels had ice blocks you could shoot to collect power ups or to undermine your opponent if he was walking on one. Ladders some seemed to be only good to get down and not back up since they did not always reach the ground. Part one and two's main game was pretty much identical as far as I can remember.

However the second version for sure had an unlimited game called Panic Mode that just had you and another player trying to survive one wave of bubbles after another. No other creatures, no other blocks, nothing. I am not even sure you could have any other weapons either, although you could from the start shoot two harpoons. Eventually hexagonal (I believe that was the correct shape...) orange balls would appear and those did not always bounce right, depending on how they landed. But hitting a green bubble with a red star as I recall (Or something like that.) killed all bubbles at one time and it was great fun to watch it all happen. And I think the power up bubbles changed upon hitting the ground so you had to time your shots, constantly assess the other bubbles in the area to your position and your comrade.

The third game in the series and the one with the background voice for sure, had four different characters including a girl and a dog with a top hat. Each also had different weapons that I think could not be replaced. One had the regular double harpoon, another the grappling hook, another still two harpoons that would shot diagonally at 45 degree angles toward the ceiling. They were supposedly art thieves or at least trying to track them down and the backgrounds were displays of old classic paintings. I can not remember if it had a main game like the others or if it was just like part 2's second game of unlimited wave after wave of bubbles.

All in all I liked it, although the third game not so much. If you can find it I would definitely recommend it. After rereading this it could be considered an indepth review. B) I give it four chickens! :cuccoan: :cuccoan: :cuccoan: :cuccoan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Bros.
GrantB

Ball shooting game

Post by GrantB »

Myph.: The game is Spit Wad Willy, 1992.

I was also trying to remember the name. Kept running into this page before I found it, so thought I'd leave a comment for future searchers.

And some other words to help future searchers find this: shareware dos buster bros clone

Also, the same programmer (Raoul Said) made a slightly-improved version called "Pea Shootin Pete". It's basically SWW with more music and sound effects and probably some more power-ups (I didn't watch more than 2 minutes of gameplay footage).
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Ball shooting game

Post by Rwolf »

Here is Spit Wad Willy's page at Mobygames: https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/spit-wad-willy
also Pea Shootin' Pete, a later version of the game: https://www.mobygames.com/game/pea-shootin-pete

A lot of similar games also exist: https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/pang-variants