Dark boulder dash/supaplex like game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Gerriot

Post by Gerriot »

In my old PC (year2000-2001) i have some preinstalled games. One of this games been boulder dash/supaplex like game with dark electronic soundtrack, protagonist looks like grim sonic the haedgehog head, on title screen been spider on title laters. I dont remember what name of this game.
If some one rememeber this game, pleese respond.
Thanks.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Not something I played, but look in this list of similar games:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/bo ... ,25/so,1d/
141606-only

Post by 141606-only »

The closest I could find was Cave Dig 3 by Foxchange Software, and Hadron (aka Quark) by Arizona Software. Both are abandonware.

Search "Cave Dig 3" on Macintosh Garden and Moby Games. For gameplay, see the developer's Youtube channel, darkcaptn. Here's why I think CD3 matches:
* ("boulder dash") Self-explanatory. Digging dirt and falling rocks, except you never need to collect anything to exit and the playing field is smaller.
* ("early 2000s PC") CD3 is for MacOS 7 through 9, and pre-Intel OSX. That is, if you meant 'PC' as in desktop computers in general, not just 'Windows'.
* ("grim sonic the haedgehog head") On the title screen. The protagonist is a furry *like* Sonic and wears a grim/serious expression. But he's a red fox, not blue hedgehog. See attached 'protag title screen.png'
* ("dark") Dark, serious mood? The game takes place in an underground cave. The music for the title screen, spooky cutscene, and boss fight are electronic and dark-sounding. The main gameplay music is more mysterious-dark than serious-dark, and less electronic than acoustic (winds, strings, percussion). You can get the .mp3 files directly from the game on Macintosh Garden.
* ("on title screen been spider on title laters") There are no spiders on the title. As for "title laters", do you mean "Credits / Staff Roll" or "latter screens" like "in-game"? The closest thing resembling spiders are these red bugs with pincers in-gameplay. One of those red bugs also appear in the credits. See attached 'red bug spiders.png'

Hadron looks more like Supaplex than Boulder Dash.
Hadron (old name: Quark) is nearly lost to time, an utter PITA to find. There were two downloads, for Classic and OSX. Find them by searching one of Arizona's domains within WayBack (see attached 'domains.png'), sort by URLs, then filter with 'hadron' or 'quark'. What you find may need activation codes, because the links for the freeware versions are unarchived.
Here's why I think Hadron matches:
* ("boulder dash") Same reason as CD3.
* ("early 2000s PC") Same reason as CD3.
* ("head") The only similarity. The protagonist is a smiling head without a body, but is neither serious-looking or animalistic.
* ("dark electronic soundtrack") Dark electronic tracker music. Stuff you could find on Mod Archive. Two songs Hadron used are Space debris (spacedeb.mod) by Captain/Image, and jupiter probe (jupiter_probe.mod) by mac of legend design.
* ("spider") There were spider enemies, but not on the title screen.

Also, if your old PC was anything like my old Mac, then "preinstalled games" means that the contents of game compilation discs were dumped onto them. If you're looking for any more games, check out Macintosh Garden's and Macintosh Repository's 'game compilations' tags.
Attachments
The first domain is the old one.
The first domain is the old one.
domains.PNG (4.15 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
"on title screen been spider on title laters"
"on title screen been spider on title laters"
red bug spiders.png (23.56 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
"protagonist looks like grim sonic the haedgehog head"
"protagonist looks like grim sonic the haedgehog head"
protag title screen.png (19.17 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
141606-only

Post by 141606-only »

141606-only wrote: Hadron/Quark:
* ("head") The only similarity. The protagonist is a smiling head without a body, but is neither serious-looking or animalistic.
* ("spider") There were spider enemies, but not on the title screen.
Update: some Hadron screenshots.
Attachments
"grim sonic the haedgehog head" but Hadron is neither grim-looking nor an animal.
"grim sonic the haedgehog head" but Hadron is neither grim-looking nor an animal.
hadron_2.1_osx_title.jpg (153.27 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
"on title screen been spider on title laters": Hadron with a spider enemy below him. Note the techno theme, like Supaplex.
"on title screen been spider on title laters": Hadron with a spider enemy below him. Note the techno theme, like Supaplex.
hadron_2.1_osx_gameplay.png (110.11 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Vellidragon

Post by Vellidragon »

It's RoX, by Safrosoft.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Quite likely RoX, like Vellidragon wrote, based on the screenshots & images on this fan website:

http://autofish.net/shrines/rox/

Both the spider on the splash screen and the hedgehog avatar and dark environment fits well to the OP:s description.

It's not listed on Mobygames (yet), but it seems to be a freeware game with some extra DLL stuff needed to play on todays PC:s