gloomy sunday

A forum for discussing television, movies, pop culture, celebrities, rock bands, and anything else along those lines.
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

gloomy sunday

Post by ashb7 »

well i read this stuff on the net the other day about a song called "the hungarian suicide song" its real name is gloomy sunday and people were saying it drove people over the edge and stuff like that so i though hey ill check it out.
i gotta say i have no or never have had any thoughts about suicide but the song really does make you feel depressed lol and it was brought out in 1936 about the time of the great depression so i figure that it wouldent have taken much influence to make some people jump so i just think its coincedence.
any one else heard this song?
I heard of a dude who snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog WOOOOH!!!!!!!!!
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

I had never heard of it before, but as usual Wikipedia has some plausibly-reliable sounding information about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday

According to this, its author (at least of the musical part, the words were written by another guy) jumped to his death some 30-odd years after writing the song.

Lyrics in original Hungarian and translated English are available here:
http://www.phespirit.info/gloomysunday/ ... seress.htm

I guess it was unique and revolutionary at the time ... nowadays the words sound like every other goth / screamo song :rolleyes: Seriously though, the song does reflect a sad predicament of the human condition ...
Last edited by emmzee on Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ashb7 »

yeah i heard about reszo seress jumping to his death.
he said something along the lines of "i cried my heart into that song and it looks like some other peoples feelings were hurt too."
its also interesting to note that he wrote the song for his ex girlfriend who he had split up with and soon after hearing the song she too took her own life wierd huh.
at first i was reluctant to listen to it but i thought what the hell i got a level head it wont efect me but as i say it is quite a depressing song but i find it amazing that a song could have such an impact on people and no wonder its the subject of many urban legends huh lol.
also billie holiday covered the song but there isnt any reports of people killing themselves due to her version.
I heard of a dude who snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog WOOOOH!!!!!!!!!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

I'm with emmzee. Sounds like old emo... I think we could call it "Premo"? lol. Either-way, I think a cover should be done. lol.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

lol... but's still weird why would people kill themselves after listening(even repeatedly) to this "Premo" :laugh:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ashb7 »

well if any one wants to listen to it let me know and ill attach it to an e-mail but hey im not responsible if you throw yourself off a builing afterwards lol
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Hmp, that should be interesting, drop it on one of my email addresses you can see under my posts! ;)
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)