Quotes

Questions, comments, and suggestions regarding the dosgamesarchive.com website can go here. Please do not post "broken links" reports here, please email them to [email protected].
Master Xan

Quotes

Post by Master Xan »

Hey, I saw some cool computer-related quotes the other day in a book... just a sec... ... Ah, here it is. The book is "Duh! The Stupid History of the Human Race" by Bob Fenster.

Anyway, thought I'd post some... not all are really good, but some are. I'll refrain from posting those I remember seeing on the site already... also, these are all direct quotes from the book.

An editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall publishers in 1957: "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." :no:

An IBM engineer in 1968 asked this plaintive question about the microchip: "But what is it good for?"

Steve Jobs on attempts to get major electronics companies to manufacture the personal computer he designed with partner Steve Wozniak: "So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think of funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"
Jobs and Wozniak went on to start Apple Computer.

(Note from Xan: I don't much like Apple/Mac, but this still made me laugh)

I figured you could use some of these quotes. I highly recommend this book, it's very funny indeed. I've only gotten to Chp. 4 and I think I may have lost weight I'm laughing so hard.