DOS Games 2.0

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
WishboneDawn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by WishboneDawn »

Dosser wrote:
I guess if you said you had a bunch of assorted computer junk on Ebay you might get something for it (someone might want one part and be willing to buy it all off you)
I'm more interested in buying then selling anyway. It seems to be ridiculously hard to get a small (anything from 50 megs to a few gigs) hard drive these days. Thought I scored at the Sally Ann when I picked up a 486dx4 for a couple of bucks...but no working HD in it.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Okay, I did some work over the wkend on a potential redesign ... heres the example I came up with:

http://www.dosgames.com/2005/

Nothing super drastic, tried to keep the general feel of the site the same. Comments welcome, as are bug reports on whatever weird browsers y'all are using. It works fine in IE6.0 and Firefox 1.0.4 on my XP computer ... Opera 7.0 adds an extra space before the closer on the sidebars that I can't figure out how to get rid of :( Other than that, works okay.

I'm not sure if the user reviews are worth doing ... considering how well guest posting usually does on this forum (ie. not well), there'd probably plenty of stupid reviews posted. And I don't have time to go thru 'em all manually like I do for vgstores.com or whatever since there'd likely be dozens every day ... so I'm thinkin that maybe just letting ppl rate the game is good enuff ...
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

nice emmzee. but do you think that people would post crap like that after you mentioning it? :O
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

I think it would be good to see user reviews: just disable the smiley and it should be fine. (I assume it would be too difficult to make us register on this forum before reviewing).

Or you could appoint a few people to 'moderate' the reviews and make sure there's nothing too insane in there.

And I like that DN3D page: the idea of each game getting it's own page is much better than the current paragraph per game, if for no other reason than it is easier to link to.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Just wanted to point out that one of the features of having the database would be the ability to resort it by <whatever>, like you could click on "Shareware", "LAN", "3D Realms" etc get a list of all games that match that attribute.

Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

Did you have fun writing that page or is it just me? It's nice, but I don't know about the colour scheme from the left 'frame'
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
Elign

Post by Elign »

emmzee wrote:Okay, I did some work over the wkend on a potential redesign ... heres the example I came up with:

Nothing super drastic, tried to keep the general feel of the site the same. Comments welcome, as are bug reports on whatever weird browsers y'all are using. It works fine in IE6.0 and Firefox 1.0.4 on my XP computer ... Opera 7.0 adds an extra space before the closer on the sidebars that I can't figure out how to get rid of :( Other than that, works okay.

I'm not sure if the user reviews are worth doing ... considering how well guest posting usually does on this forum (ie. not well), there'd probably plenty of stupid reviews posted. And I don't have time to go thru 'em all manually like I do for vgstores.com or whatever since there'd likely be dozens every day ... so I'm thinkin that maybe just letting ppl rate the game is good enuff ...
Yeah, I think it's better than what we have now, but it looks more like a DOS Games 1.1 rather than a 2.0 (of course as you tried to keep it similar).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: after seeing the sample user comments on Duke Nukem 3-D.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Made a few tweaks to the design ... so at the top of the page, is the listings (like when you click on "3D Shooting") ... then after that its the game page with all the info on it.

First, what I'm thinking now, is instead of having people post reviews on the site itself, I'll let people rate the games (via the selectbox there) and then post a link to the forum's "Game Reviews" forum (currently dead...). That way, it would be easier to have peer moderation of the reviews, and it would hopefully get more permanent members using the forum. Whadda ya think?

Secondly, just a minor thing, but do you think I should use the first or second type of links in the listing? (ie. first way with a single "Click here to read more & download Duke Nukem 3D!" link, or the double "More info & the full review / Download" links) The second way would be more convenient for visitors ... (I'll still have a download page when they click download telling people how to unzip files nstuff ... you wouldn't believe how many emails I get saying "I got gam how do I play it, all I got is a .ZIP file!!1") But my concern is that everyone will just click download & no one will read the full review, see all the other info there, etc ... I am leaning towards the 1st way, even though it will mean another click for people to download ...

Thirdly, there's now a spot to show whether it works in WinXP or not ... just to make the whole thing more time consuming & complicated B)

Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

I think it would be good to see some peer reviews directly on the page.

It would be better to have a single link to a page that contains both a review and a download link. This would not result in any more clicks if you removed that irritating page that says 'the download is ready to start' 'click here to download'. I understand this is probably an advertising opportunity, but the DOSgames 2005 site already has a lot of banners on it, so users will see the same number overall.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

This idea for DOS Games 2.0 is failing because we are just talking about it and not putting any plans into action.