Who was William Soleau?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
SeverinDK

Who was William Soleau?

Post by SeverinDK »

Does anyone know who William Soleau is and where he is today?

I remember the name as the creator of Micemen, which my dad still plays to this day. He is 63 years old and has played this game for as long as I can remember. Last night he sent me these images and called me to tell me that "he had finally done it", gotten all twelve of his mice in a row while the enemy only had one player left. He was so proud! :D

Anyway, that was not the point of this thread, just what got me thinking about it.
Does anyone know who William Soleau is or was? It's hard to find much info about him.
viber_image_2021-02-19_20-08-18 (2).jpg
viber_image_2021-02-19_20-08-18 (2).jpg (139.78 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
viber_image_2021-02-19_20-08-18_1 (2).jpg
viber_image_2021-02-19_20-08-18_1 (2).jpg (171.81 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Who was William Soleau?

Post by Rwolf »

Looking at business info for the company shows he's in New York, 65 and probably retired now.
(I've found no interviews with him, but maybe I looked in the wrong places.)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Who was William Soleau?

Post by MrFlibble »

Ancient DOS Games made a video about the company, might contain some interesting bits (or not, I can't be bothered to watch it now):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifq9QXH_-Os

I remember reading somewhere that William Souleau started his career as a ballet dancer before becoming software developer. Maybe it was their archived site.
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Who was William Soleau?

Post by Swiftcutter »

The Soleau Software website seems to be gone now, but you can still view the archived site at the internet archive.
Here is a link to their biography page from 2005: https://web.archive.org/web/20050802073 ... oleau.html

The biography for Mister Soleau himself, from that page...
Mr. William Soleau, a graduate of Amherst College, has created over 100 games that have been distributed through Shareware and retail markets. Mr. Soleau's creativity and innovation has inspired people around the world throughout his career as both a ballet dancer and choreographer and as an imaginative author of thought provoking computer games. As an acclaimed international choreographer, his ballets are in the repertories of over 20 companies around the world. Drawing upon the rich resources of his creative background and the disciplined structure of his programming skills, Mr. Soleau is the principal programmer for Soleau Software.
bobalot

Who was William Soleau?

Post by bobalot »

I know this is a late reply but William Soleau appears to be active in Ballet and Choreography.

If you look up his name, it's the first link on Google for me.

That archived biography also references their connection to dance, Ballet, etc.

If you look up the names of the people in that archived biography, they all seem to be still involved in dance, Ballet, etc.

I think it's pretty interesting that the Ballet and Dance creatives made up Soleau Software.

Nice to know they just haven't disappeared off the internet forever.
JamieRobles

Who was William Soleau?

Post by JamieRobles »

William Soleau is indeed a game developer and the creator of Micemen, among other games. He is known for developing puzzle and strategy games, particularly for DOS-based computers. Micemen is a game that involves moving mice across a grid while avoiding enemy cats.