Doom & Wolfenstein by ZooM Software?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Post Reply
reyna1do
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Doom & Wolfenstein by ZooM Software?

Post by reyna1do »

I recently had a job trip over to Dallas, Texas a few days ago. I decided to go take a look at the nearby retro game store to see if I found something, and I did.

<a href="http://i.imgur.com/OUosvSF.jpg"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/OUosvSF.jpg" width="300px"></a> <a href="http://i.imgur.com/wt1aCB5.jpg"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/wt1aCB5.jpg" width="300px"></a> <a href="http://i.imgur.com/cxijzQi.jpg"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/cxijzQi.jpg" width="300px"></a>

What do you guys think about these? The guy told me they're for DOS. I've looked around in the market to see if there were any like these but I have yet to find them.

I noticed the distributor of these is ZooM Software, which I think is or was a software company in the Dallas area no?

I'm a big fan of the box art on these. So detailed and really nice looking, they're slide boxes like the ones on shoe boxes.
User avatar
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 am

Post by MrFlibble »

I haven't heard of Zoom Software before, but the Wolf3D cover somehow seems familiar. It's not on MobyGames though, apparently. Maybe you'd scan it and contribute to MG's Wolf3D entry?

BTW, are those shareware or registered games?
reyna1do
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Post by reyna1do »

MrFlibble wrote:I haven't heard of Zoom Software before, but the Wolf3D cover somehow seems familiar. It's not on MobyGames though, apparently. Maybe you'd scan it and contribute to MG's Wolf3D entry?

BTW, are those shareware or registered games?
Thanks for the reply!

I honestly don't know. Heres better pictures of the floppies and the yellow paper. (I apologize for the huge pictures. lol)

<a href="http://i.imgur.com/wm1mUpx.jpg"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/wm1mUpx.jpg" width="400px"></a> <a href="http://i.imgur.com/c7XzUCK.jpg"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/c7XzUCK.jpg" width="200px"></a> <a href="http://i.imgur.com/YgHHBZJ.jpg"><img src="http://i.imgur.com/YgHHBZJ.jpg" width="200px"></a>

I have yet to fire these up, since I don't have an actual compatible DOS machine with a floppy drive. :blah:

EDIT: Just noticed Duke Nukem is misspelled on the paper. lol
User avatar
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 am

Post by MrFlibble »

reyna1do wrote:I honestly don't know. Heres better pictures of the floppies and the yellow paper. (I apologize for the huge pictures. lol)
If there's only one floppy for Wolf3D and two for Doom, these are most likely shareware versions.

BTW, there must be some tag to downsize posted images, I gotta check what it is.
reyna1do wrote:Just noticed Duke Nukem is misspelled on the paper. lol
It isn't. The first Duke Nukem game was temporarily called Duke Nukum because of copyright infringement concerns, which eventually turned out to be unsubstantiated (hence the character's name was reverted to Duke Nukem in later games). Here's more info on that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nuke ... _game_name
User avatar
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Absorbed into Clayface

Post by dr_st »

Oh yeah, I still have those "Duke Nukum" versions. :)

As for these, they are clearly shareware. But even if they weren't, it is not so much out of the ordinary for a third party publisher to have an agreement with the developer or the primary publisher to distribute their games to a specific market. In most such cases, the distributor has nothing to do with the game, except being a channel for getting the games on the shelves.
reyna1do
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Post by reyna1do »

dr_st wrote:Oh yeah, I still have those "Duke Nukum" versions. :)

As for these, they are clearly shareware. But even if they weren't, it is not so much out of the ordinary for a third party publisher to have an agreement with the developer or the primary publisher to distribute their games to a specific market. In most such cases, the distributor has nothing to do with the game, except being a channel for getting the games on the shelves.
I figured, but they are a real deal from back in the days right? I think I paid a steep price but the box art had me sold already lol.
User avatar
wardrich
"Some Troll"
Posts: 3940
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:08 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by wardrich »

Awesome posts, reyna1do! Hope you don't mind - I edited your posts so that the pictures weren't quite so big. I've set them all to hyperlinks, though - so if you click on them you'll be taken to the full-size.
reyna1do
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Post by reyna1do »

wardrich wrote:Awesome posts, reyna1do! Hope you don't mind - I edited your posts so that the pictures weren't quite so big. I've set them all to hyperlinks, though - so if you click on them you'll be taken to the full-size.
No problem boss! Thanks again. :) Still learning the forum software here. Dx
Post Reply