New computer - queueing up some Stack-of-Shame items!

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

New computer - queueing up some Stack-of-Shame items!

Post by Quadko »

I've ordered a new computer, I'm so excited.
Hopefully no disappointments and failing parts when it arrives tomorrow!

My last computer has survived very well (it came with XP on it!), and can do everything except some newer games, so I've waited a while to replace it.

But at last, I can tackle some stack of shame games I've been waiting for upgraded processing / memory / vcard to try:

XCOM 2
Pillars of Eternity
Civilization 5
Wasteland II

and maybe even some Elite Dangerous!

I'd say "The Elder Scrolls Online/Valenwood" (edit: oops, I fell for some speculation - TES6 is still unknown & no release date!) since that series drove many of my previous upgrades since Daggerfall, but I've lost interest after loving Oblivion. Never could get in to Skyrim.

Some of these might have run, but after Wasteland II ran only slowly I've been planning and hoping for a nice upgrade to something reasonably (!) modern.

AMD 8 x 4.2ghz
16GB memory
Geforce GT730

Upgrading from a 2 x ~3.0 ghz, 3 GB, 32bit, Geforce 9800 machine bought in 2008. (Wasn't installing Vista, no way!) And it still does great (but gets grouchy if I leave Chrome open overnight...) for everything other than games and compiling a big project. And I got sick of drooling over my work computer's ability to handle Visual Studio, Inkscape, and the Gimp without breaking a sweat. (Ok, my laptop is a little newer than the office desktop and filled in the gap a bit...)

But I'm happy that no matter what, Darklands will still run just fine. :P Maybe I can finally write that remake I started a few times since the computer is sooo fasssst... "I won't be impressed by AI until I can tell it to make a sequel to a game or movie and get more than I expected."
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Pillars of Eternity is very nice.
I installed and ran a few more games briefly, but got sucked into PoE and played for the rest of the evening.