Videogame Publishers: No Preserving Abandoned Games

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Videogame Publishers: No Preserving Abandoned Games

Post by MrFlibble »

ESA blocks attempt to improve legislation concerning video game archiving and preservation efforts:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/v ... d-archives
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

How big is the ESA organization? Sometimes I get the feeling it's like a guy's part time job, and he just barks out "users are the number one enemy of software" anytime something hits the news. If he wasn't on the media call-for-opinion list, there'd be nothing to him at all but a crank website. And the lawyers, of course. <sigh>
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, I've heard they are known to take down stuff for real, and apparently they actually monitor users' activities and track down potential infringements.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Yes, I know the lawyers and takedown requests, and pursue their client's viewpoint in "see what we can get away with" laywerly fashion. I just wasn't sure if they were anything more than that, or are just an umbrella for lawyer fees, or what exactly. Anyway, I'm sure I could research it if I cared, just the sleazy way they go about it is like Disney lawyers - gives a bad name via bad behavior to something I generally like, property rights for software producers.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I do not click on links. Would it be too much to ask for copy and paste of the article?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

DOS Wolf wrote:I do not click on links. Would it be too much to ask for copy and paste of the article?
That's our problem because?
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

DOS Wolf wrote:I do not click on links. Would it be too much to ask for copy and paste of the article?
But then you miss out on the information that they cite in it. It's a link straight from the EFF... what's wrong in clicking it?
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

That's the 1st time I'd want to strangle 'em at throut, shake and yell "&(/&%n' idiots!!!" (even though I don't play such games). I'm askin' again: Why doesn't game companies release theirold ones to free distribution or take back on sale. That's why abandonware and museums exists. If they'd do, they ma get more customers.[/img]
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Wally wrote:
I don't click links.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

DOS Wolf wrote:
Wally wrote:
I don't click links.
Not our problem so you miss out :laugh:
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Wally wrote:
DOS Wolf wrote:
Wally wrote: That's our problem because?
I don't click links.
Not our problem so you miss out :laugh:
I can't tell if you are truly trying to be a dick or not, so I'll let it pass. :huh: But now we are talking more on this than the actual subject matter so I guess I will leave it to you guys. :rolleyes: