DOS-piano!

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

DOS-piano!

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Here is a little game to teach you the basics of piano playing. When I was young, about 12 years old or so, I went to piano school. They taught things like scales and notes. All of this I have pretty much forgotten! However for those who are trying to earn an income being a piano player there are many avenues. In many professions you do not be a billionaire like Bill Gates. The good thing is you can make a comfortable living on a humble $20,000 a year.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/xd56exfea21b5tr/PIANO.C

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6midw ... /PIANO.EXE
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Cool! I used to learn playing the piano as well, and that was also a long time ago! :)

What I noticed immediately though is that once you press a key the sound will play indefinitely unless another key is pressed or you quit the programme. Perhaps you should add a time limit for how long a sound is played?

Also I thought that the sounds would be on the standard C-major scale, but they seem to use a different scale altogether? :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Different Scales and Timing

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

You are very observant. I did not realize someone would pick up on it so early. It has been such a long time (maybe 30 years ago) since I practiced with the teacher. So I do not remember the notes very really. I just picked a random place to start and had the keys somewhat resemble the piano scales. Obviously you picked up on that right off the bat. So you are a very talented piano player it seems from what you can notice by ear.

Also the timing lasts indefinitely because I did not think to stop it. I figure someone who is trained would easily glide over the keys and make a song out of it. It is meant to be a training wheel for kids or people who are just starting out and wanting to play something along the piano. I figure if they are interested the habits they pick up will carry them over to the real world. And I actually think that if a person can pick up that the scales are different than the real piano then they are ready to work. It seems you have that differentiation talent MrFlibble. Congratulations.

I didn't think someone would be that talented to differentiate between the scales. haha
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Here is version 2

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

:) Your new version might have "real scales" already, but in case not, I know the middle A is 440 hz, and found this page from MIT with the rest of the note frequencies, in case it's helpful: Note Frequencies.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Real Scales (Thank you Quadko, and such)

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

First I want to Thank Jesus for these amazing gifts. Somehow I am able to create things people hopefully want to buy. hehe

Anyways, since I get my living paid for free, I am giving my hard work for free.

Also I am grateful to the people who have helped out. Hopefully you know who you are and come claim credit for it if I haven't given you proper credit.

Well, as MrFlibble stated initially the scaled "were" off. In this version 3, Quadko has helped me out tremendously with the scales as you can see with his post above.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/9o8dzg4acflkr37/PIANOV3.C

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yehq2 ... IANOV3.EXE

I have included middle C
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Different Scales and Timing

Post by MrFlibble »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:So you are a very talented piano player
I wish! :) What really really matters in becoming a good player of any musical instrument (I think) is a lot of patience and hard-working practice - something which I didn't really have during my studies.

It was a fun experience for sure, but I was never sufficiently motivated to work hard enough to improve my playing skills. As a result, I would do okay provided I had some practice beforehand, but now I don't remember any pieces that I learned back then.

I did not go to a music school (some of my classmates did, and it is my understanding that it's pretty serious business), it was essentially private lessons with a teacher with the focus of learning to properly play one piece at a time, selected according to the students' current skill level.

I checked out the second version. I think 8-7-6-5 sounds a bit like a part of the US National Anthem :)

The third version has it right! I think you could easily implement the entire chromatic scale now using the alphabet keys instead of numbers :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

I have implemented the chromatic scale starting at middle C

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.