Guess The Game

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
User avatar
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu May 01, 2003 8:30 pm

Post by Wally »

Civilization?
User avatar
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god
Posts: 1217
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by Rwolf »

I kind of got stumped...maybe it's a type of God-game in the style of Populous II or Black&White 2, with existing people being put in a fantasy conflict?
User avatar
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac
Posts: 3226
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 am

Post by MrFlibble »

DOS Wolf wrote:I for one am completely lost, but then again I suck at DOS. Any more clues?
Not sure if this counts as a clue, but this is not a DOS game :) (We aren't confined to DOS games here, are we?)
Wally wrote:Civilization?
That's quite close!
Rwolf wrote:I kind of got stumped...maybe it's a type of God-game in the style of Populous II or Black&White 2, with existing people being put in a fantasy conflict?
I'm sorry if the first clue kind of got you on the wrong track. There is no fantasy to this game, the developers just "recycled" some of the existing characters to fit one of the historical settings (which was probably added later into the game). But they could not change the names of these characters.

Clue 3: This game has a lot of different technologies (compared to the others in the same genre at least), some of which are found in rather unexpected places.
User avatar
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god
Posts: 1217
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by Rwolf »

...I didn't mean fantasy as trolls & elves in my last post, only as conflict settings.

Building on Wally's guess:
Civilization: Revolution? Never played any of the series, but it looks a likely candidate.

(Console & phone versions exist, according to Moby.)
User avatar
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac
Posts: 3226
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 am

Post by MrFlibble »

Rwolf wrote:Building on Wally's guess:
Civilization: Revolution?
Nope.
Rwolf wrote:trolls & elves
Trolls and elves are relevant, in the sense they are related to the game in question in the same way as Civilization (~ Clue 2).
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

Post by DOS Wolf »

MrFlibble wrote:
DOS Wolf wrote:I for one am completely lost, but then again I suck at DOS. Any more clues?
Not sure if this counts as a clue, but this is not a DOS game :) (We aren't confined to DOS games here, are we?)
No we are not confined, but I may make a new rule for console games only. :D Or at least in another thread. ;)
Rwolf wrote:I kind of got stumped...maybe it's a type of God-game in the style of Populous II or Black&White 2, with existing people being put in a fantasy conflict?
And please try to reply with only one answer per try.

Also I do not think, unless it was specifically specified or the clues them selves are directly correlated into it, we should not have to guess if a game was part 1 or part two, etc. There are exceptions of course, since some games vary greatly in content, at least the older ones. But for the norm we should not have to guess a particular number in a series. Take for instance with Command & Conquer. There are like what, seven or more!? :huh: Or if Everquest trying to guess a particular expansion. But if you were trying to distinguish between Tiberum Sun series of C&C or regular series that could be do able. Just not Red Alert or Red Alert Retaliation etc.
User avatar
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god
Posts: 1217
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by Rwolf »

Oh, well...I think the initial rule was one try per clue, even; so I guess I broke it multiple times - I'm just impatient I guess.
User avatar
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac
Posts: 3226
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 am

Post by MrFlibble »

DOS Wolf wrote:Also I do not think, unless it was specifically specified or the clues them selves are directly correlated into it, we should not have to guess if a game was part 1 or part two, etc. There are exceptions of course, since some games vary greatly in content, at least the older ones. But for the norm we should not have to guess a particular number in a series. Take for instance with Command & Conquer. There are like what, seven or more!? :huh: Or if Everquest trying to guess a particular expansion. But if you were trying to distinguish between Tiberum Sun series of C&C or regular series that could be do able. Just not Red Alert or Red Alert Retaliation etc.
I think there's a simple solution to this: if a clue equally applies to several games from a distinct series, then guessing any relevant game from that series should count as valid. But ideally, the clues should be about a single game, regardless of whether it's part of a series or not.

As for add-ons/expansion packs, it's reasonable to count them as the same thing as the base game (even though in some cases an expansion pack introduces some very different content or changes some gameplay mechanics).

Regarding Command & Conquer: Red Alert: Retaliation, I think it could count as a valid separate game, as it is a console port of the PC game' mission disks with some extras (new briefing videos). I suppose a proper set of clues would make this particular game guessable.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

Post by DOS Wolf »

Age of Mythology

I could of sworn I had added that answer to my last post, since it was the whole reason I even started that reply, but oh well. ^_^

And I had seen one person before guessing with one or two games at a time, but I had not been logged in and forgot about it. But yes, one possible answer per try and one try per clue. And clues should be given every day or every other day. But the clue giver at the time can take into the account the flow of the game. Just don't leave us hanging if it can be helped. :D

And I actually had C&C: RAR for the PS1. It was a very good game (Minus the slow down when you built up 150 I think little people and make them run the guantlet... Muahahaha!) and I still prefer that version of the game to many of the other PC versions of said game series, minus C&C Generals which was just fantastic in my opinion. However I just checked C&C on the wiki, because I knew there were a lot of games, but that is ridiculous. You would need some mighty fine clues to even "think" of being able to distinguish between said same game in a series, with in the franchise itself... :upset:
Lillia Stafford
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:10 am
Location: United States

Post by Lillia Stafford »

Does no one remember CONTRA WARRIORS anymore? Its the best game ever.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right Select Start
User avatar
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac
Posts: 3226
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 am

Post by MrFlibble »

DOS Wolf wrote:Age of Mythology
Very close! I think this has been dragging on for too long already, I guess I gave some too specific clues, so since you got the series correct, it's now your turn :)

The game I had in mind was the original Age of Empires. Clue #1: if you play the Japanese campaign, in the first mission you get a character called Hero Perseus, and the objective is to assassinate Hero Xerxes. The plot of this scenario doesn't really suppose that you have a Greek mythological hero against a Persian king battling on Japanese soil, it's just that apparently the developers did not add Japanese characters to the game for some reason, and recycled whatever they had available.

As for clue #2, Age of Empires was influenced by Civilization and Warcraft II, obviously.

For clue #3: weapon and armour upgrades are in the Storage Pit, while the Granary houses research for walls and guard towers (yeah, there is some logic to that, but still it's a bit unusual).
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

Post by DOS Wolf »

Sweet! About time! ^_^

Ok, I have two games in mind so I will hold one in reserve in favor of this one first.

Clues: Classic NES game and it was only just a dream...
User avatar
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god
Posts: 1217
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by Rwolf »

Not played it, but perhaps: 'The adventures of Tom Sawyer'
User avatar
wardrich
"Some Troll"
Posts: 3940
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:08 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by wardrich »

SMB2?
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

Post by DOS Wolf »

SOB1 it is SMB2! Haha! ^_^

Well that was quicker than I had expected. But I shall sound off my other clues to the game regardless. I was also going to say-

Don't be shy...

Let's go to the casino and hit the slots...

Four distinctive characters not originally intended for the game

Bowser who?

and

First issue of Nintendo Power (It was on the cover.)

However I did not realize until some time later that the original SMB2 was the Lost Levels on the Super Mario All Stars and that SMB2 that America is familiar with is called Super Mario USA in Japan. Haha! Ok War, your turn.

And I did not even know there was a Tom Sawyer game on the NES or that it was a dream... :huh:
User avatar
wardrich
"Some Troll"
Posts: 3940
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:08 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by wardrich »

You should have opened with the Casino line. It could have been one of the 2 Kid Casino games, Deja Vu, or a wealth of other games. :)


NES Game
This game puts you on a post-apocalyptic journey where you'll collect and upgrade 4 swords before finally getting the last one used to take out the last boss.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

Post by DOS Wolf »

Crystalis

I had to look it up on the Wiki to make sure I got the spelling right, but this was going to be my first choice regardless, so I ended up reading further. I have sadly never played the game, but always wanted to. I had read an article or review on it in Nintendo Power or another game magazine, but it had forever left a lasting impression on me. I do not remember much of the story, only that there were multiple swords to collect. I always thought that was a great idea. However I thought it was in a medieval setting, not post-apocalyptic due to the art work.

And I had no idea Deja Vu had slot machines or at least playable ones, but then again I never got very far in any of that trilogy.
User avatar
wardrich
"Some Troll"
Posts: 3940
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:08 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by wardrich »

DOS Wolf wrote:Crystalis

I had to look it up on the Wiki to make sure I got the spelling right, but this was going to be my first choice regardless, so I ended up reading further. I have sadly never played the game, but always wanted to. I had read an article or review on it in Nintendo Power or another game magazine, but it had forever left a lasting impression on me. I do not remember much of the story, only that there were multiple swords to collect. I always thought that was a great idea. However I thought it was in a medieval setting, not post-apocalyptic due to the art work.

And I had no idea Deja Vu had slot machines or at least playable ones, but then again I never got very far in any of that trilogy.
Bingo! I got the game for my like 6th or 7th birthday. To this day, it's still one of my all-time fave RPGs. It has an awesome story, and the gameplay was really innovative for its time. Somebody tried to kind of make an homage to it with the game "EvilQuest" but it feels far too amateurish to really enjoy. Here's the link if you're interested in checking it out, but I really don't recommend it unless they do an overhaul to re-polish the graphics, music, and controls.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263820/


As for Deja Vu, if you ever need money (ie: for cab fare) and have 0 money, you can always look in the Slot Machine in the casino room for a free coin (enough to cover the fare).

<img src="https://tcrf.net/images/8/87/Deja_Vu_US(NES)-casino.png">

You can then USE the coin on the machine to gamble and try to earn more.

<img src="http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/images/6/60/D ... _Start.png">

I'd totally recommend you try Crystalis out. The ROM is a bit sketchy compared to the legit version, but it's probably the best you'll get these days. The GBC version may run better in an emulator, but I've never played it on that system.

I'd also strongly recommend you revisit Deja Vu/Shadowgate/Uninvited as well. Once you're done that, keep an eye on the Shadowgate remake on Steam for when it goes on sale. It's a fantastic game.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

Post by DOS Wolf »

Clues: Console game. Ants, Vampires and Werewolves oh my...

So it is an RPG or a game more akin to a hybrid? I thought it was more adventure with RPG elements, but again I have never actually played it. And I do not do ROMS. If there was a free legal copy, sure. But otherwise I will just keep hunting in the old dusty used bins for one.

I wish I could really sit through the SDU (Shadowgate/Deja Vu/Uninvited) games or even just one of them, but I can not. Shadowgate is too restrictive in game play with the torch and the other two games the control on the NES just plain sucks. I would like to try to find the trilogy on the Advance again, because as I keep mentioning there is a quick short cut to the menu and sub folders by pressing Select or something. Otherwise you just have to keep slowly scrolling to each individual one instead of “jumping” from one important point to the next. I have no patience for that.
User avatar
wardrich
"Some Troll"
Posts: 3940
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:08 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by wardrich »

DOS Wolf wrote:Clues: Console game. Ants, Vampires and Werewolves oh my...

So it is an RPG or a game more akin to a hybrid? I thought it was more adventure with RPG elements, but again I have never actually played it. And I do not do ROMS. If there was a free legal copy, sure. But otherwise I will just keep hunting in the old dusty used bins for one.

I wish I could really sit through the SDU (Shadowgate/Deja Vu/Uninvited) games or even just one of them, but I can not. Shadowgate is too restrictive in game play with the torch and the other two games the control on the NES just plain sucks. I would like to try to find the trilogy on the Advance again, because as I keep mentioning there is a quick short cut to the menu and sub folders by pressing Select or something. Otherwise you just have to keep slowly scrolling to each individual one instead of “jumping” from one important point to the next. I have no patience for that.
Crystalis is kind of a hybrid. It's sort of like Zelda hack-and-slash, but it has more of an RPG type of story and some basic leveling up (HP/MP increase. I think maybe you learn a few spells as you level up too, but I don't remember exactly).

The NES versions of Shadowgate etc. are much more forgiving than the PC/MAC versions. Those were just relentless. Honestly, if it wasn't for the torches in Shadowgate, the game would almost be too easy. I don't think there's anything like that in Deja Vu (aside from the random mugger encounters); and there was something I encountered a few times that I recall in Uninvited where you'd enter a room and it would say something about pressure in your head and then you'd die, but I'm not sure what triggered that.

Oh, and my guess for your game: Monster in my Pocket? Not sure if it had ants, though.
Post Reply