The Adventures of Square

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

The Adventures of Square

Post by MrFlibble »

I've just learned about this Doom engine game called The Adventures of Square. It has some very nice art and music, and good level design.
The first episode can be downloaded from the official website.
The Adventures of Square review
Gameplay video
Gameplay video with commentary
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Doom is a classic. Do you know the history of Doom versus Quake by any chance?
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:Do you know the history of Doom versus Quake by any chance?
I'm not sure I get what you mean? The comparison of popularity of both games? Or the development history of each?
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Well, I know my uncle used to play Doom (he might still) heavily. There was a point he even upgraded his graphics video to NVIDIA's latest to play the latest Doom (if there was such a thing as a Doom that advance in video).

I on the other hand received QuakeOne from my cousin. Being the lower class one of my family I appreciate what I am given. So I try to make my situation to be a luxury as best as I could. I have made it to the point that I am a Quake lover since I have the original setup from the original CDs. Unfortunately, the Nine-Inch-Nails songs scared me so much that I deleted the sound track. Now I have replaced it with Tiesto. haha Not that it is any better between you and me. haha

Well that is the history of my coming to knowledge of both versions.

However, I am dumb when it comes to the history of how Quake and Doom came about. Some things are interesting however probably better left to mystery
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Youtube history of ID software might be a good start - I didn't watch it all the way through. Or Wikipedia's Article on ID looks pretty good and will give you an overview.

Doom and Quake were made by the same people, the founders of ID Software (John Carmack and friends), Doom first, then Quake, and then lots of sequels to both. ID software pretty much created the popular 3D game market, with competition from Apogee/3DRealms' DukeNukem 3D games.

For a long time every 3d game was based on the engine of one company or the other, or was very bad. Eventually other people figured out how to make good 3d engines, mostly after the hardware accelerators came along and made it easier.

Before Doom was their big success, they also had at least 2 3D games (Catecomb 3D series, Wolfenstein) that helped them start the engines.

And Quake came later and had better tech (Quake 1, at least!); I always preferred 3d aliens to 2d demons, so I'm with you that Quake is better. But both are fun to play, if you can handle the settings and music. I have more fun with Quake now anyway, the horror setting of Doom tires me more than when I was 20. But Doom 3 and Quake 4 were basically the same technology as I recall, it was only the first two games or so of each that were different technologies.

And there are whole books written on the topic, as I recall, so those links are just a start!
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Thank you Quadko. I looked at the wiki and read a quarter of the way and and got tired haha

The game might have amazing graphics that I am in awe with however it scares me hehe

I really do not play it.

Did you know at one time I went through the first level and went out the otherside unhurt.

I also quit after seeing no creation cutting my losses. haha
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.