Read manual?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.

Dost thou read game manuals?

Yeah! I must know how to play!
27%
¤%{&@£#$ I read any ¤€/&@$&'n manuals!
27%
I just check controls.
47%

Total votes: 15

486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Read manual?

Post by 486 player »

It's very importand to read, at least readme.txt or gamename.doc. They may solve technical problems and tells right controls etc.
Last edited by 486 player on Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

i play game first, usualy i can pick it up without having to read anything, but sometimes if i get stuck i check the readme. and i always read the cool manual on the way back from the game store, on the bus.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

It is totally revelant to the platform that the game is made for.

Consoles
------------

When I buy a console game (whether it be for my NES, SNES, GameGear, DC, or PS2) I am usually too anxious to read the blasted book. I throw the game right into the console and start playing. Then later on, when somebody is watching the TV or something, I'll take out the book and start reading it. That way I can get a better grasp on teh game and learn some hints and such.

PC
----

I NEVER read the instruction manuals for PC games. I usually read the strategy games and such. The only real time I read the book is if I need the keymap. But I usually configure the keys prior to playing.

-Richard-
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

I always read so I know the controls and story.
¤%{&@£#$ I read any ¤?/&@$&'n manuals!
What does this option mean? :huh:
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Only if it's a 300+ manual filled with stories, weapon stats, calculations, and backround history of all the racing like in Starfleet Command or if the game has really complex controls like ADOM. (over 120!) If it's just an insert or a Readme.txt file, I'll skip past as I enjoy learning the game myself and besides, I never remember the keys just by looking at a manual-I have to "feel them out" on the keyboard, and I never look down when I type or play games.
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

In PC Games, I'll just check the controls screen before playing.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

a good example of game manufacturers understanding our needs is RTCW. it has a big, juicy manual (50pages) with cool info about wolf3d (it took 4 guys 6 months to make!) but also has all the useful stuff, like a multiplayer gaming 101. but the real good thing is it has a small keyboard layout thingy, aboput the size of a cd cover folded out twice. it's just great to put in fron of the screen if you are the forgetful sort.
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

I love reading manuals if they have information about the characters, weapons, story etc. Otherwise, I will consult only if I need to know what key performs such and such a function or something like that. Otherwise, I just go play the game.
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

I generally start playing the game straight away, unless for some reason I'm not able to; then I read the manual.
Octocon888

Post by Octocon888 »

very technical games like flight sims definately need a good read, FPS forget it bung the disc in and play it straight away like i did with splinter cell. but i do like manuals that contain a very good background story... one i will always remember is dungeon master by ftl... the manual contained a very good story like a book and after reading it it said something along the lines of 'you are the one go find the bad guy and kill him' and i actually wanted to read more of the story :(
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

I always read the manual, but not immeadedly! I start playing the game without reading, but then later I do read the whole book.
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Dope: No
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

I don't read the manuals first, but I always read the manuals to fill in empty time.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Da_Goat wrote:I don't read the manuals first, but I always read the manuals to fill in empty time.
Same here...
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

Ditto... *whack* (shh, quiet Rush).
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Check-Mate
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush

Post by Check-Mate »

nastypoisonspikes wrote:I generally start playing the game straight away, unless for some reason I'm not able to; then I read the manual.
Same here!