Free alternatives to classic/well known games

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

I don't know for sure. I'm almost certain KQ 1-3 and QFG 2 remakes have sierra's permission. I don't know about the rest.
Certified 16-bit Troll
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

The WCP Gemini Gold (Privateer remake) is a fan remake, using the open-source Vegastrike space combat engine. The graphics are remade in the likeness of the original Privateer, and it has a similar storyline. Still under development, as far as I know.

(I played with it some years ago, some things look the same, but things work differently, due to the different engine, but that is expected.)

Vega Strike is a space combat/trading game in its own rights, and the engine has been used for several variant games in 'other' universes, like Wing Commander, Star Trek, Elite etc.
(Not sure how many of those are still actively maintained, interest tend to fade with time).
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Vega Strike is already on the list.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

Battle of Wesnoth is a free Settlers II clone that's very well received.
Certified 16-bit Troll
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Aldeb wrote:Battle of Wesnoth is a free Settlers II clone
Surely you meant to say Widelands?
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

No, this one here - http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Screenshots

At least i think it's a settlers clone. either way, it's free and people seem to like it
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

The Battle for Wesnoth isn't a Settlers clone.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

........ promising debate ...... :laugh:

just to avoid problems, an early reminder: keep replies civil,THX
Such discussion have a bad habit to heat up once in a while.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

In a super belated post, I think this is a quite funny April Fools joke.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

MrFlibble wrote:In a super belated post, I think this is a quite funny April Fools joke.
.... could be better than the original. :laugh:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Added Blacklight: Retribution as a game similar to the Battlefield and Call of Duty series.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Here's a very neat game in the style of Wolfenstein 3-D and Ken's Labyrinth called Gun Godz. Review video.
musa

Post by musa »

Here is a free DOOM-like game. It's called Shaw's Nightmare. Here is the website
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Here is an Arkanoid/Bricks alternative. It is simple however there is a secret weapons keys. The 'k' is a missile key which totally makes it a cheat mode not worth playing. Some variation on the dopple mode, which is activated by the 'd' key, exists. For instance, if you have enough points your dopple remains active and removes the blocks with you. However, activating your dopple quickly decreases your points. It takes a tremendous amount of points to keep the dopple active. I hope you have fun!

Here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tjdkj ... kanDOS.EXE
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Cool, can you upload some screenshots and/or a YouTube gameplay video?
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Screenshot and update.

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

http://tien5g.yolasite.com/contact-us.php

Well, here is a screenshot link. The game has just been updated to be a little more accurate. The old version still works however it is not as tweaked.

Thanks ahead of time for replying!

[Update]
I have just worked for the last two days or so updating the program to make it easier for the players. You now receive 100 points per blocks instead of a mere single 1 haha

Also when you activate your double, you can turn off your double too.

Thank you @MrFlibble for replying. It is nice to know someone cares enough to respond. I like my Transformer avatar by the way
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Wow! Nice list! Have you actually tested and or played all or most of these games? Also anyone know which RPG Maker clones are the best?

Not sure if this helps or is even what you are looking for, but here are two rather large lists of legally free games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fr ... ideo_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... s_freeware

I use to have my own webpage, where I made a similar list, although it was not a replacement for sold games per say, just legally free games and I had played and tested (To some extent at least) all the games. But that list is long gone and I got most games from those two links anyway or other sites.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

DOS Wolf wrote:Wow! Nice list! Have you actually tested and or played all or most of these games?
Heh, you got me. I didn't :) Some of these are suggestions by others (whose opinions I trust) so I wouldn't even know how the alternative compares to the original, as I am not familiar with it.

I have played some of these games though ;)
DOS Wolf wrote:Not sure if this helps or is even what you are looking for, but here are two rather large lists of legally free games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fr ... ideo_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... s_freeware
I was absolutely certain that the first post here contained links to these Wikipedia pages, but apparently I added them to a re-post of this list in some other forum. Still thanks though.
DOS Wolf wrote:I use to have my own webpage, where I made a similar list, although it was not a replacement for sold games per say, just legally free games and I had played and tested (To some extent at least) all the games. But that list is long gone and I got most games from those two links anyway or other sites.
I trust that you know the websites Liberated Games and Remain in Play, right?

I used to keep a list of random free and liberated game findings. Haven't added anything to it in a while though. All these lists become quite a chore to maintain once they grow big enough.

Also you might be interested in a list of shareware clones/alternatives of popular games.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

You could of very well had posted those links in your initial post and I had just missed it. ^_^ And no I was not aware of these liberated games and such, but I shall gladly give them a look. Thank you.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Oh, then you might also want to check this blog:
http://juegosliberados.blogspot.com

JIC, it's in Spanish, but even if you don't know the language (I don't) it's still pretty intuitive. I would say this is one of the most comprehensive and frequently updated sources about free and liberated games.