Sharing gameplay videos of 19 DOS games

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
GPD701

Sharing gameplay videos of 19 DOS games

Post by GPD701 »

I have a YouTube playlist where you can watch the gameplay of 19 different DOS games, including SimCity 2000, Quake, The Need For Speed and Duke Nukem 3D; check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=mh_lolz

As requested by the rules of this forum regarding advertising, the reason why I am sharing is because I'm not really getting a lot of views in the videos. Some games like Lamborghini American Challenge and EGA Solitaire can be forgotten, but even best computer games like Duke Nukem or SimCity 2000 are not getting enough attention as well.

Technically, I'm trying to get attention from others to follow me and then watch a couple of music videos I have in another channel since I'm trying to get a better life than normal, as you can see in the section "What I'm trying to do to become famous and why" of my long blog. (http://gregorypdesrosiersmontreal.blogspot.ca/)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Sharing gameplay videos of 19 DOS games

Post by MrFlibble »

GPD701 wrote:Some games like Lamborghini American Challenge and EGA Solitaire can be forgotten, but even best computer games like Duke Nukem or SimCity 2000 are not getting enough attention as well.
Mayhap they don't get enough attention because there are lots of other videos featuring the same games?

Okay, I watched a couple of videos:
Doom - played on the easiest difficulty level, no secrets found in the levels.
Duke Nukem 3D - has been recorded with an external camera, not the best quality to put it mildly.
Quake - also with an external camera, looks better now but the view is still from an angle.

I think people would be more interested in complete playthroughs or Let's Play's with comments.
GPD701

Post by GPD701 »

Playthroughs done by me for these games won't be possible; it's not because I can't memorize, but rather, paying attention to what Let's Players would say on how to deal with problems like low health and ammunition that there's no way to replenish and they come face to face with enemies.

What other sites can I share the playlist, or what can I do to improve the way on how my videos are found? I do have YouTube's Creator Playbook, but the most difficult part is coming up with a legitimate and perfect description or the right tags. I'm the kind of guy where thinking out of the box is a total pain for me. What I mean is, I have too much trouble with abstract understanding.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Your biggest problem if you want to be noticed is that ourdays we drown in gaming clips.

How do you want to compete against sites as let's say XTC abandonware? Counter for Latis (owner of XTC) is now some 505 game clips.... and growing.
http://www.youtube.com/latislos
If I want to research if a game could interest me I first look up those kind of gaming playlists.

Also, and this is meant as positive feedback for you, not to bluntly criticize your work, I have to agree with MrFlibble, there is nothing special in your playthroughs.
If you want to be noticed you will have to do much better .....

And at least put your playlist link in your sig.
(If you don't know how to do that just say, I'll do it for you .... )
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

GPD701 wrote:Playthroughs done by me for these games won't be possible; it's not because I can't memorize, but rather, paying attention to what Let's Players would say on how to deal with problems like low health and ammunition that there's no way to replenish and they come face to face with enemies.
While this is probably a very general practical advice, you should probably think of something to make your videos stand out, once you have configured your DOSBox to run normally (you mention in the Doom video that there's low framerate - have you set a romal amount of cycles in dosbox.conf? cycles=max works too, but might be too much on newer machines, although with Doom it's going to work fine anyway).

It shouldn't be necessary a thorough playthrough with all secrets found, par times beaten etc. but it must be something special that makes your videos different from the others. That way you'll probably have a chance at catching attention. For example, you could try to set some kind of challenge when playing through (consider something not having been done before, if possible) - like using only a specific weapon, or dodging monsters rather than battling them, something along those lines. Another approach could be in commenting while playing in a natural, "human touch" style that could be appealing to viewers. Not a 100% necessary example, but the Rise of the Triad review & walkthrough videos by PsychedelicSA are a pretty awesome in that they combine human touch, informativeness and novelty (each episode shows something special aside from the playthrough of a level).

And, most importantly, if you want to make a good video, you gotta really love the game that you're recording.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

On a second thought, you could also try doing videos of more or less rare games. For example, I don't remember many videos of HacX, especially the DOS version 1.1, which can be played without Doom II too), or In Pursuit of Greed, or Quiver, or Rex Blade, or even Warlords.

You could just browse through the DOS game archives and then see which games aren't covered (or are insufficiently covered) on YouTube.

Another example: a user posted on YouTube videos of demos in different versions of Doom - that is, the self-running records of game play that work as the "attract mode". Those had to be re-recorded in each release due to engine updates (and maybe also aesthetic reasons), and also the demos differ in the unregistered shareware and registered versions too. However, apparently there are no records of self-running demos from different versions of other games, like Heretic or Duke Nukem 3D. By doing just that you could actually bring something new to YouTube, which of course deserves attention.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:Another example: a user posted on YouTube videos of demos in different versions of Doom - that is, the self-running records of game play that work as the "attract mode". Those had to be re-recorded in each release due to engine updates (and maybe also aesthetic reasons), and also the demos differ in the unregistered shareware and registered versions too. However, apparently there are no records of self-running demos from different versions of other games, like Heretic or Duke Nukem 3D.
I've just discovered a user who has uploaded self-running demos from a bunch of 90s "3D action" games:
Classic FPS Demo Loops
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

MrFlibble wrote:Another example: a user posted on YouTube videos of demos in different versions of Doom.......

I've just discovered a user who has uploaded self-running demos from a bunch of 90s "3D action" games:
Classic FPS Demo Loops
... aaaah ...... memories .... memories ....
That's a real trip to memory lane.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.