DOS games that don't need DOSBox to run in Windows

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

DOSBox is a great tool to run DOS games on modern systems, but I can perfectly understand users who would like to jump right into the game without having to go through the process of setting up and configuring this emulator.

Besides, there are several inherent limitations to DOS as a platform, including typically low screen resolution and often limited sound options.

Luckily, there are DOS games that just don't need DOSBox to run in any version of Windows, which is accomplished by a number of means:

1. Official Windows versions
These are games that have both DOS and Windows versions available, either bundled together or released within a short time span. If the game is a Windows re-release, the year of its publication is noted in brackets.

NOTE: For certain old Windows games, you might need additional utilities like DxWnd or winevdm to successfully run them on modern Windows systems.

Commercial titles Shareware and freeware games 1a. Official enhanced remakes, remasters for modern platforms
These are enhanced re-releases of DOS games for Windows and other modern platforms, usually appearing a considerable amount of time after the original DOS release. Enhancements include higher screen resolution, improved graphics (higher definition sprites and art, better 3D models, etc.), audio enhancements and various engine improvements (up to a complete engine replacement). Sometimes, other extra content is possible, including development materials, outtakes or even entirely new levels/scenarios. 2. Third-party source ports
If the source code of a game is available, it may be ported to Windows and/or other systems to run natively on these platforms. Source ports are often created by enthusiasts after the original source code is released by the developer and may feature enhancements such as higher resolution modes, improved sound/music and bug fixes. 2a. Unofficial enhanced remakes
DOS games ported/converted to Windows (and other platforms) and enhanced, by fans. Sometimes these projects receive licensing or at least blessing from the original creators and/or copyright holders. Others are libre remakes without any copyright content. 3. Engine recreations
If a source port is not available for whatever reason, enthusiasts often attempt to recreate a native Windows (or cross-platform) version of a game on their own, using observation and/or reverse engineering to achieve a result that would play similarly to the original game. These projects tend to be somewhat less accurate than source ports, but nevertheless quite often are very close to the original game to be deemed a proper replacement.

NOTE: Games that are supported by ScummVM are not listed individually because there are so many of them!
Last edited by MrFlibble on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I see the Underworld Adventure project was cancelled in 2007, something that often happens to these remakes.
(I guess it's still on sourceforge for anyone who wants to pick it up again.)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

I have included incomplete and/or abandoned projects if they are playable. A while ago I made a separate thread about Underworld Adventures, it's quite functional and even supports the demo version. And as the source code is available perhaps someone might pick it up and continue development (maybe).
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Added a note explaining why ScummVM games are not listed separately.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Added PowBall DeluXe to the list.
Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Why isn't Command & Conquer under "Modern Windows re-releases"? Not modern enough? :P
TagYoureIt

Post by TagYoureIt »

Thanks for the games. Can't wait to get another Windows laptop to play some I'm stuck on a Chromebook right now :cry:.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Nyerguds wrote:Why isn't Command & Conquer under "Modern Windows re-releases"? Not modern enough? :P
I think I just keep assuming that everyone knows about C&C95...
TenIcy

Post by TenIcy »

I love this forum:)
plateshutoverlock

Post by plateshutoverlock »

TagYoureIt wrote: Thanks for the games. Can't wait to get another Windows laptop to play some I'm stuck on a Chromebook right now :cry:.
Wow, I feel for you. :\

I'd try websites that emulate Dosbox through your web browser. Archive.org has a huge playable archive of them. Search ms-dos games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

I haven't updated the thread in a while, but there have been some recent developments concerning Build and some other games.

In addition to Rednukem, the Redneck Rampage recreation based on EDuke32, there are now similar project for Powerslave and Blood called PCExhumed and nBlood, respectively. All three are available here. PCExhumed supports the demo version of Powerslave too.

EDuke32 devs also began the public beta phase of VoidSW, the Shadow Warror source port.

Raze is a project that wraps the EDuke32 codebase from the above ports with some GZDoom features.

There's also the catch-all BuildgGDX port that uses a different approach to deliver an authentic experience plus supports some games that have not had official code releases.

Finally there's RAD, the engine recreation of Radix: Beyond the Void on the Doom engine. Currently supports the v2.0 REMIX release, including the shareware version.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Spectalum is a cross-platform engine recreation of Eye of the Beholder II.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Atomiks is an open source remake of the classic puzzle game Atomix. The author obtained permission from the original copyright holders to use the levels and art from Atomix.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Aaand now there's a way to play Speed Haste natively on Windows: GLSpeed (based on original source code).
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Updated the lists in the first post. I completely removed the section with modern official re-releases, and the other two lists have been substantially expanded.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Added Reflection Keen as a port for Wolfenstein 3-D.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

The Force Engine is now fully playable, but cutscenes and player inventory are not supported yet.