Crosscountry Canada - finally got around to doing this one!

Add your own reviews of games here.
kyol

Crosscountry Canada - finally got around to doing this one!

Post by kyol »

Hey guys! Huge DOS game fan and long-time lurker. My housemates and I have been putting together a videogame news podcast called Gnarcade, as well as video reviews and things like that. I've started a new segment called 'Quit to DOS', and the first episode is for Crosscountry Canada!

Check it out, and let me know what you think! Critique welcome. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgm56In8sC4

Cheers!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Man, I loved this game! This and <a href="http://gb64.com/game.php?id=3842&d=45&h=0">Island Rescue</a> took up a good chunk of my computer time as a kid.

Great review and welcome to the forums!
kyol

Post by kyol »

Thanks, brotato! Also, I completely forgot about Island Rescue until this very moment - holy crap!
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Re: Crosscountry Canada - finally got around to doing this o

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

kyol wrote:Hey guys! Huge DOS game fan and long-time lurker. My housemates and I have been putting together a videogame news podcast called Gnarcade, as well as video reviews and things like that. I've started a new segment called 'Quit to DOS', and the first episode is for Crosscountry Canada!

Cheers!
Is it possible if you can do everything in written form? I am a big reader and would prefer that format! I have pretty much done away with YouTube, TVs, and such. I try to stay away from the media as much as possible unless it is in the form of a "personal" writing.

I have found it to be more personal and touching to the soul. Just be yourself, I would really like to read your videogame review.

Thank you for putting it together even if you decide not to do anything except YouTube! :)
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Re: Crosscountry Canada - finally got around to doing this o

Post by wardrich »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:
kyol wrote:Hey guys! Huge DOS game fan and long-time lurker. My housemates and I have been putting together a videogame news podcast called Gnarcade, as well as video reviews and things like that. I've started a new segment called 'Quit to DOS', and the first episode is for Crosscountry Canada!

Cheers!
Is it possible if you can do everything in written form? I am a big reader and would prefer that format! I have pretty much done away with YouTube, TVs, and such. I try to stay away from the media as much as possible unless it is in the form of a "personal" writing.

I have found it to be more personal and touching to the soul. Just be yourself, I would really like to read your videogame review.

Thank you for putting it together even if you decide not to do anything except YouTube! :)
On the contrary, I prefer the YouTube format. It provides better view of the gameplay itself, and allows us to not focus solely on the review (I can be doing something else while listening to the review).
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I myself like videos, but can not watch much of Youtube due to my internet connection. But there is something to be said for written reviews as well. However, we do not have to worry so much about grammar, spelling mistakes and if they capitalized a letter or not. :D I shall give the video a look when I can.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

@Dos Wolf: Hey, have you had any luck with youtube downloaders to get around connection issues? I've used them occasionally when I had slowness or constant interruption trouble, but I haven't used them often. Of course, if it's a internet different problem, that may not help. :)
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

If this is the thing that pops up when having YouTube problems, I never click on them because I have heard they are dangerous.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Always be safe and on target!

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

My laptop warns me that certain events and installations to watch may be unsafe.
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Definitely not that! This would be finding some program elsewhere to "download youtube to mp3/mp4 local file" depending if you want video or audio. I don't have a specific one to recommend, but I've had good luck on google the few times I wanted to download an mp3 of something I watched. Usual caveats apply "installing 3rd party software off internet" of course. :)

I'm glad for the browser virus scan, but I hate it when I'm told "this is rarely downloaded, should I delete it?" - Yes it's rarely downloaded, I just uploaded it to my own website and I'm the first one to touch it! :P
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Quadko wrote:This would be finding some program elsewhere to "download youtube to mp3/mp4 local file" depending if you want video or audio.
Just in case, I think the YouTube Terms of Service actually prohibit that:
4. General Use of the Service—Permissions and Restrictions
YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:
<...>
C. You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.
5. Your Use of Content
In addition to the general restrictions above, the following restrictions and conditions apply specifically to your use of Content.
<...>
B. Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Ah, yes, that looks right. Oops. :D

I'm so used to overcoming technical hurdles to streamline music and movies use that I bought under the fair use laws that I didn't really even think about it other than not stealing movies or songs. Speeches and funny ads and meme videos and... lots of other such things.

However, I also note lots of weasel words in that legalese like "solely as intended" - but less explicitly listed as what's intended by whom. Between the CYA and the "shocked, shocked I say, to find gambling at Rick's" and original content owners (video review creators!) often being happy if someone wants to download their stuff, I'm somewhat of the opinion it would take a bevy of lawyers and years of court cases to untangle what's legally binding and what's just "company threw it in but it's against the law or unenforceable" contract stuff. However, Google could certainly afford such lawsuits, and I can't. It has been interesting when courts hold sections of contracts and terms of service non-binding - it's not a "go straight to jail and do not pass go" situation, that's for sure.

But thanks for pointing out the lack of caution in my stated opinion. I think you're returning the favor, as I recall. B)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Quadko wrote:I think you're returning the favor, as I recall. B)
I'm not sure what event you're referring to?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

No worries. I was thinking about the dosbox embedding w/ games conversation we were having - assuming I remember it right. :P
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Ahh, you're right, I have forgotten about that.