BloodRayne 2 [old review found]

Add your own reviews of games here.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

BloodRayne 2 [old review found]

Post by dosraider »

A review I wrote some time ago for a defunct French AW site, Thought I could post those ol'things here.

Bloodrayne 2

Publisher: Majesco Games
Developer: Terminal Reality
Platform: W98 and up
Released: aug 2 2005
Single player
Multi: No
System requirements:
Cpu 2 Ghz
512 MB RAM
VidRam: 128 MB
ESRB: + 17, mature, Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexual Themes, Strong Language
PEGI: 18+
Also:
Playstation2 released: 2004
Xbox released : 2004.
Official site: http://www.terminalreality.com/games/in ... id=0043121
Must be me, the game was a hit on Xbox and PS2, on my PC it sucks, I'm bored too dead with this Bloodrayne2. I'm getting old, so let's try out the game with my oldest son (25) on the commands, whoopsy, not a good idea, after 30 sec's he leaves, disgusted. No problem, my 18-year-old son is here, he can try it out, shit, 1 minute and he leaves. In real despair I get my 21-year-old daughter on the keyboard, she roar with laughter looking at Bloodrayne's shaking boobs and naked legs and when she has wiped the tears of her face she leaves. Her boyfriend refuses even to try this game and runs away, the lousy coward.
I get the my neighbors youngest one in front of the monitor and see: YES, he likes it, he's eyes begins to peer turning into glass like marbles, and he begins to drool, he seems to enjoy the game.
Of course I have a moral problem, the kid is only eleven……. ESRB rating says +17. Bigger problem is here, the 9-year young sister is checking out what her older bro is doing, she sees the game. Girly takes the controls from her brother, starts to input some weird commands and whoeha Bloodrayne is in young schoolgirl outfit with some lace underwear covering her private … yes you get the point. ESRB +17 ? my ass. Girly gets bored and leaves the controls to her longing brother.

The default controls are a nightmare for a PC gamer, all kind of weird keycombo's are required to flip or whatever movement, horrific WSAD movement, luckily their all remap'able. This is a typical console game, ported on PC, nothing more, if you own a PC-gamepad plug it in, you gonna need that one.
The whole game is based on level by level killing the enemies, kill enough and door opens, granting you passage to the next level or revealing a vampire gate. You rarely have to fight more than four or five enemies at once, the next shipload comes in when you are low on adversaries, we don't want to get bored it seems, so regulate the fresh flesh arrival. Here and there a kind of boss, again nothing special, they even have implemented time handling, slowing your opponents, big deal, Matrix in minor. Tactic is non-existent in this game, no tactical considerations whatsoever, enter the room or fighting area and do the killing, remember to feed Bloodrayne with blood, that's about it. The only learning to do is about acrobatics, when you have to do some climbing or trapeze swinging, but even those are blatant easy. You don't need to time your jumps, the game engine guides the necessary moves, swirl the lady, hit a key, done: challenge below zero, and this shit takes some 31 boring levels.

Another story is the game engine and the graphics. For such a crap game level build they are pretty well done. You can destroy all furniture, abrogate completely the scenery furniture. Pianos, big earth globes, chairs, name it you can shred the whole stuff. That's lovely interaction with your surroundings. Many games could benefit a good look at this Bloodrayne 2.
Graphically you can crank it up to a nice 1600x1200, bump mapping, dynamic shadows, reflections and other eye goodies can be activated. Beware: to run fluid in highest resolutions with all the graphical marvels turned on you will need a fast high-end gamers PC with at least a 256MB video card.
Bloodrayne is able to perform the craziest actions, jumping whilst flipping and decapitate an enemy is only a matter of fast fingers, the youth is king here, I'm to slow to perform such rapid key combos. When looking at the neighbors' children performances I could only silently admire their dancing fingers and the lightning fast movements Bloodrayne was accomplishing. Harpoon use, bite, blades attack, kicking, fire weapons, performing circle combo, blood rage, aura vision, dilated perception, name it Bloodrayne can do it, and more: she can do all kinds of combinations.
Engaging frontal an enemy whilst blocking from behind attacking assailants, decapitating, torn limbs off, reducing opponents into handfuls of bloody particles, the kids love it. The kids even likes when she must feed, aaargh, kids our days, I tell you.

The ingame sound is repetitive and uninteresting. The whole game through the same "wants some more" or "oh yeah I love it" , dullness is lurking all around here.

Conclusion: Buffy or Lara, whomever COME BACK.

The good:
A graphical lovely game, surrounding interaction, flashy movement combinations. The dismembering of your enemies, bloody and limbs in extravagance. Sensual Bloodrayne.
If you are a puberal person you gonna drool.

The bad:
Typical console game, extremely repetitive, boring too dead.
It runs on a PC, that's all.

Replayability: Only if you are a teen you will play this again. Whatever ESRB/PEGI have to say: this is a kid's game.

Gameplay: B
Story: C
Tech details: A
All round: B.

wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.