Keepsake [old review found]

Add your own reviews of games here.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Keepsake [old review found]

Post by dosraider »

This is a review I wrote of the demo of Keepsake when it was released, later I've played the full game, this is truly a good adventure game......

Keepsake – Demo

==================
System requirements:
Platform: Windows ME/2000/XP
P3 1 GHz 3 or AMD Athlon
256 MB RAM (512 MB XP)
32 MB 3D accelerated video card (NVIDIA GeForce™ or ATI)
CD-ROM: 4x
DX 9.0
HD free space
Game:1.4 GB
Demo: 280 Mb
Mouse, Keyboard and Speakers
Developer: Wicked Studios
Publisher: The Adventure Company (Division of Dreamcatcher)
ESRI: 7+ , everyone.
Release date: probably 04/2006. (USA)

Genre: RPG point and click.
Third person view.
=====================
The story is about a young woman, Lydia, who will search her friend Celeste, she disappeared along with all the students from the Dragonvale Academy. Lydia and Celeste are bound by a friendship that has his roots in their youth. Celeste's father, Nathaniel, is the rector of Dragonvale Academy. Something is happened at this academy, Lydia will have to discover what and find her friend. The whole RPG is situated in a world of magic at this huge academy and it's surrounding. The playable character is Lydia, she will have to interact with the persons, animals, furniture and objects she find on her quest. She will not search alone, she will be accompanied by Zak, a former dragon who is transformed in a talking wolf.

This demo of Keepsake is downloadable in English, French and German, file size approx 230 Mb. It's a playable, stable, fully working demo. Install works flawless and an uninstall who leaves no remains on your system, we have seen otherwise in the past with some crappy demos. Nothing is crappy about this Keepsake Demo.

The sound and the effects are agreeably done, eventually you can lower the music volume if you find it a bit too soft. The voices are good understandable, I have tried the French and the English version, both seems all right. The translations are accurate.

Graphically this game is good, smart designed artworks, detailed furniture. Maybe not the best seen in point and click rpg's, but surely well done, better than average. Good-looking cutscenes containing additional info about Lydia's past. The gamemaps loads fast, the screen by screen scrolling works extremely fast. When you are directing Lydia towards a point where the camera angle will change, the cursor shape changes. She can walk or run, you can guide her smoothly with the mouse.

The first time you run the game you will get a short tutorial, someone will learn you all that is needed, how to move, run, ask help, interacting with your surrounding, using the menus. Takes about 5 minutes to learn the controls, luckily no 200 keystrokes to learn here, only some mouse clicks are needed to play this game. Navigating throughout the game is intuitive.
The puzzles are logical, if you want you can get help to solve them. The help is given in several stages, first some tips, only after asking several times for help you will get the solution for the puzzles. Continually you're able to ask for help, the game will tell you what your next step must be.

The only negative I can point out is the lesser environment interacting, you can mostly not use or move the items.

I have certainly enjoyed this demo of Keepsake, and will surely look out for the release.

wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.