Shareware Heroes book coming soon

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shareware Heroes book coming soon

Post by emmzee »

Hey all, check out this upcoming book by video game journalist Richard Moss, "Shareware Heroes". It chronicles how "How the golden age of shareware subverted, shook up, and reshaped the video game industry, and kept independent game development alive." The unbound page is here where you can preorder / help fund the book:

https://unbound.com/books/shareware-heroes/

I also did a quick blog post about it on DOSGames:

https://dosgames.com/blogpost/coming-so ... s-and-90s/
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

That should be a good book. Also, the page mentions The Secret History of Mac Gaming by the same author, should be interesting as well.

I remember reading on the subject a while ago, including an extensive interview with Scott Miller, and also some stuff about Jim Knopf, to get the idea of how the shareware scene came about to be.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

I met him at a conference I attended, he did a talk about his Mac gaming book which i had already purchased at the time.

Great book, considering purchasing shareware heroes but not yet!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

So you're in the industry Wally, didn't know that!

Mac gaming is a pretty interesting topic with some fairly unique titles having emerged in the 90s. I'm not even talking about all the high-res ports of PC stuff.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Nah not really in the industry, was a developers conference I had a complementary ticket for through work :)

There's quite a large number of old quirky Mac games out there which are really unique to the platform, it's quite hilarious to open up a game and go whoa what on earth? Then end up playing it for hours. :suspicious:
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Wally wrote:There's quite a large number of old quirky Mac games out there which are really unique to the platform, it's quite hilarious to open up a game and go whoa what on earth? Then end up playing it for hours. :suspicious:
:D