DOSGames.com v2.0 released!

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

DOSGames.com v2.0 released!

Post by emmzee »

Hey all, check out the new site! :) Well, the forum will stay the same for awhile. But the rest of it has a new look, and lots of new functionality! This has been in the works for the last 9 months or so, on and off whenever I was able to find time. It represents many, many hours of work.

See the blog post about it here:
https://dosgames.com/blogpost/welcome-to-new-dosgames/

Bug reports can be posted here, and/or sent to me directly. :thumbsup:
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Wonderful news!!! :love: The new layout looks great!

I love it how you arranged the pages, and the idea to add preinstalled versions of games that come with installers for easier use with DOSBox is also neat!

I just tried out Blackthorne in the browser, it works pretty well ^_^

BTW, I notice that some of the preview screenshots come from MobyGames, and in the case of Blood for example the screenshot originally is from a GamesDomain review that some user had submitted to MobyGames as their own work (now removed from the MG database). Would you like to replace these with official screenshots?

MobyGames now has a promo art section that houses official material for any game they're available for, Here's an expansive selection of Blood screenshots for example.

As for the DOSBox implementation, do you think it would be possible to turn on aspect ratio correction without negatively affecting performance? That would make most VGA games look true to how they'd appear on a 4:3 display back in the day.

Anyway, great job! Hoping for further updates soon! ^_^
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Hey thank you for the helpful feedback! :)

Some of the screenshots are very old, I don't remember where some of them came from. The majority I took myself but there are definitely some (like apparently Blood) that came from other sources. In the system I built each game can actually have multiple screenshots, none actually do yet however. It's on my list to review in the next few months.

Re aspect correction, I would need to do so on a case-by-case basis. Right now DOSBox is implemented basically the same way as playdosgames.com (thanks to Joris) so all that I have customized for each game is the cycles. (It's set to max except where it needed a custom number.) But I can always add a custom dosbox.conf file for specific cases.

MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

emmzee wrote:Re aspect correction, I would need to do so on a case-by-case basis. Right now DOSBox is implemented basically the same way as playdosgames.com (thanks to Joris) so all that I have customized for each game is the cycles. (It's set to max except where it needed a custom number.) But I can always add a custom dosbox.conf file for specific cases.
Good to know, I'm not sure though if turning aspect correction on won't affect performance (shouldn't for lightweight games I suppose).
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

1. Still not able to upload games. (I've some free-/shareware ones not foundable anymore or from certain abandonware site, or which require deep googlin'.) (Unless I can e-mail .ZIPs.)

2. DON'T update the forum! The newest version has an annoying non-optional bar that follows when scrollin'.

3. Would also like review postin'.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Heya, sorry for late reply.

1) I'm a bit hesitant to allow people to upload random files ... there are a bunch of free places to store stuff these days. If you or anyone has a file they want me to take a look at, point me to a link, or you can always email it to me as long as it's not too big (see email link below)

2) I'm going to see about upgrading without changing the style too much. I'm not really sure what the options are yet because I haven't fully investigated it.

3) You can post reviews now, well, you can post comments, which is kinda similar? :shifty:

486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

1. I'm workin' with MrFibble about 'em.
3. It's not. (Like John the Axe got his.)
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

486 player wrote:1. I'm workin' with MrFibble about 'em.
To avoid potential confusion, I am only permitted to add stuff to the DOS Games Archive and am not in any way involved in dosgames.com's operations.
shilpisharmanew

Post by shilpisharmanew »

HEY
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Hey umm Emmzee, it's time to update the forums. ^ that guy is why.