DOSGames.com Site Update August 1st 2011

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

DOSGames.com Site Update August 1st 2011

Post by emmzee »

Wheee!
Added 14 new games today to bring the total to 600 games! :) The new additions are: Alien Cabal, Clyde's Adventure, Crash, D/Generation (demo), Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, Galactix, Kosmonaut, Pinball Fantasies (demo), Powerslave (demo), Quiver, Skull Quest, Ultima Underworld (demo), Witchaven (demo), and Zorro (demo). Visit the <a href="http://dosgames.com/g_new.php">Newest Additions</a> page to download 'em all! :)
I need to add at least one more then I can update the logo :D

Also since I now have a lot more free time I'm thinking of starting the site-wide update ... need to work on a new design first ... hmmm ...
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: DOSGames.com Site Update August 1st 2011

Post by dosraider »

Nice stuff.
:)
emmzee wrote:I need to add at least one more then I can update the
logo :D

BattleZone could be a nice addition....
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3117
emmzee wrote:Also since I now have a lot more free time I'm thinking of starting the site-wide update ... need to work on a new design first ... hmmm ...

Arf arf, heard that before ..... :laugh:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

If you're going to update the logo, you could cheat and say "Download *nearly* 1000 free DOS games!". B)
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Okay I added Amulets & Armor, The Fool's Errand, and Taxi Run to bring the total to 603 and updated the logo :)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Awesome :D
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Accordin' to Old School DOS, Alien Cabal's freeware.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

486 player wrote:Accordin' to Old School DOS, Alien Cabal's freeware.
I haven't been able to find any proof of that other than that site admin's claim.

I discussed this matter with Swizzle from Demu (formerly DOS Museum), here's what he says:
Hm... Yea, I can't find any other reference that this game may have been made "freeware" by it's owner. It's also not registered with the US Copyright Office so I'm not even sure who might own the rights. It looks like the QASoft websites went offline in 1999. There is no information on the archive.org copies I was able to access saying what happened to the company.

I was able to track down an e-mail address for one of the people in the credits of the game. Hopefully he will have contact information for the owner; or at least a little more information.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

More info from Swizzle:
I've spoken with the person who did the graphics for the game - but unfortunately he doesn't have any contact information for anyone else involved in the project. He wasn't sure who would even be the copyright holder from what I recall.
On a side not, that Old School DOS site doesn't seem very trustworthy to me, seeing as how not all downloads from there are legally distributable, and no info whatsoever is generally provided whether a download is a demo, a shareware version or a free full game.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:
486 player wrote:Accordin' to Old School DOS, Alien Cabal's freeware.
I haven't been able to find any proof of that other than that site admin's claim.
Recently I found an archived copy of the game's original official website, preserved by the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. And it turns out that starting somewhere in late July 2000, the main page had a link to the full version of the game, available at no charge:
Download Full DOS Version 1.2 and DirectX Version (12.9MB)

(Requires Pentium 100MHz, 16MB Ram, 60MB Hard disk space )
The file itself was not properly preserved (only the first megabyte or so was stored), but the file name and size is the same as of the download offered by Old School DOS Games.

The full version package is updated to the latest version (v1.2) and includes both the DOS and the Windows versions. Also it contains the latest version of the game editor.

The problem is that the site does not have any kind of freeware release announcement. An indirect clue may be found in the form of a message (archived by Google Groups) where Greg Taylor (one of the developers) offers another user to send a free copy of the game:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.gam ... mSPNvpFvYJ

The message is dated May 28, 1998. It can be assumed that the game did not have much popularity, and at some point the developers decided to release it as completely free.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Any chance of a site update soon?