Music Recording Tips of the Known Universe

A forum for discussing television, movies, pop culture, celebrities, rock bands, and anything else along those lines.

Do you make or copy your own music or collections to PC?

Yes. And I've archived some great stuff no one else has.
No votes
No. It's too easy to leach others.
No votes
Not yet. I came here to see how others do it.
100%

Total votes: 1

johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Music Recording Tips of the Known Universe

Post by johpower »

I'm always interested in other's archiving systems for old tech. Note this is not about piratin' of the net, a somewhat different topic. It's about recording decent quality sound from any in-house source to PC storage.

So give us your shiny: What's your music set up? Describe the hardware (sterio system, mics, wiring, recording computer, etc.) and software? Describe your editting proceedures. Are you mixing to WAV or going straight to mp3? Sample rates? Final resulting quality (are you getting 20hz-20khz for instance)? Pop and scratch supression? Clipping points?

But note there IS a possibility vinyl will out last all electronic media, properly stored. For example I have several ~100 year-old 78 rpm albums. B)
Last edited by johpower on Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

I don't understand what you mean. You mean copying the music from a CD to your PC? Or do you mean making music myself?

We have a Synthesizer keyboard, a Midi synthesize module and a Macintosh with Studio Vision Pro. in it. That's how I compose. Then we have some Minidisc machines to record the music. Actually we have a lot of mixers and the like, but not they all fit into this small room at once...
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

I think it's pretty clear: as wide a field as possible. Mic to PC, vinyl to PC, RtR tape to PC, remote PC to PC recording.... everthing but dully slurping an MP3 off the net and plopping it into the hard drive.
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

vinyl, audio-in, cool edit 2000, .wav, cd.

:P