Looking for an old gem that has been lost

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
partyace

Looking for an old gem that has been lost

Post by partyace »

I remember playing this game on PC on windows 98 back in the years 2000 - 2003 i think. I got the game on CD-rom from buying a danish magazine. Well my farther bought the magazines and i used the CD-rom with playable games and demo's. I dont remember if this game was a full version or not. But i did complete a single level. The game had very simple gameplay, but it took me awhile to figure it out. I dont remember the name of the game or the version of the magazine which had the game on CD-rom.
But the magazine name was this https://komputer.dk/

General Gameplay: 2D game with sidescrolling. You would start with a base structure made out of glass like material or similar to coral. The game was very slow phased, and there was some sort of ressource to handle but im not 100% sure on how it worked. But you would build some structures that allowed you to train monsters. Alien looking monsters that were swimming or floating under the sea or in the air. They had an attack to fend off imposeing invaders. Looking like bubbles as i recall it.

I remember it took me awhile before i had enough aliens to go exploreing the map. Going from my base and to the right of the screen to expand the view. You would encounter more aliens that would take out some of your troops and then you had to build more at the base to progress. Sometimes the area you ventured into would be defended by defence structures that were in the shape of a upside down cone. And it would take some time to destroy the cone and move to next objective. I remember finishing a level after completely clearing the map of structures and enemy aliens.

That is pretty much what i remember the game being about, i think there was some kind of map at the bottom of the screen where you could see your units and enemy units and structures.

I really hope somebody out there can help me find this game. I just really wanna look at the graphics, and see what it looked like so i dont have to use my memory.

And the units produced looked like heads with tentacles in white transparent color.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I don't know, but maybe you can find something in this group of games:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/ga ... 150/so,1d/
partyace

Post by partyace »

I have spent some time looking for the game on that site, and with no real results. Browsing by age, platform, side view and themes. I dont think the game is in the database.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

If it was just a playable demo, it's possible it was never released, and in that case it would not appear on MobyGames website.

I still have a few of their magazines (in Swedish) so I'll look to see if there was something around those years that might fit.
partyace

Post by partyace »

I never thought about the game not being released. That could in fact be the case, it was probably made by some unknown developer. That being said i really appreciate you looking through old cd-roms. I searched this site https://archive.org/search.php?query=k-cd for CD's but with no luck. Im not 100% sure about the year so if you have time check some older and newer cd's if you dont find it at first glance. Thanks alot from here. :thumbsup:

PS. i think the genre is strategy
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I checked my 'library', it turns out I only had three issues from that Komputer magazine: #9, 10 & 13 from 2001 - and I could not find your game in those.

(I have more PC Gamer magazines, but it's still a needle in a haystack to find)
partyace

Post by partyace »

I think my farther has a friend who kept alot of those magazines and cd-roms. So that is my best chance of finding the game. I just hope there is no hole in my memory, and the game really came from those CD's.

Anyway thanks for trying, i dont think it is worth your time to look through other magazines since the chances of finding that perticular game is = 0

The funny thing is that the search is not something i can let go, unless i have tryid allmost everything and i have to declare the game lost. The game might not even be worth replaying if i find it, but i will be happy to just be right about my memory not being wrong about it. I had a similar experience with a piece of music 1 year ago. And the feeling of finding it after months of looking, and only knowing a single phrase of lyrics was amazing.

The song i found was Run 4 Fun- Dancing with somebody
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

It sounds like you're talking about an RTS rather than a 2D side scroller.

Something that does have upside down cones is Star Command Revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x56tah4eUAI but it could just be a stab in the dark (and yes it's worth playing)
partyace

Post by partyace »

It is not an RTS game, since they are more advanced, and in the game im thinking about they would only let you produce one type of unit and build maybe two or three structures. Besides there was no overview of the units and im 100% sure you would select the units and only make them move sideways on the screen. Not in all directions.

But i do understand that with the limited info i can remember, one could think it being an RTS game. I do appreciate you putting some thought into the matter.
The one you posted is not it. The units are also way smaller.

Let me try and describe abit of the graphics: Imagine being on an alien planet where nothing is looking familiar. There is a horizon in the back but no trees. The world is not dark, but very bright atleast in the starting area. I think i remember it being darker when you explored the map.
You have a mainbase structure that is built out of material that is unknown. When you build your first structure it is slowly being made out of white particles or bubbles of energy. The units you produce are slowly hovering / floating on screen. They are also made out of white particles or bubbles of energy. They have two eyes and are seen from the side, they have a mouth that can attack with bubbles or energy. They have a white transparent body, and long tentacles floating behind them.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

The only side-scrolling RTS kinda like game I can think of is The Tone Rebellion (there's also the Clonk series but that one is certainly not what you're looking for).
partyace

Post by partyace »

Seriously this could be the game. It resembles what i described and has the map at the bottom of the screen. Perhaps as i said i only played the demo version of the game. After a closer look at the screenshots. I am 100% sure this is the game i was looking for.

Thank you so much!!!. I am gonna try out the game and enjoy the nostalgia. :clap:

- - - Game Found - - -
The Tone Rebellion
Year: Mar 27, 1997